Mansfield Outdoor Faucet Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

DaytonOhioGuy

Reaction score
I have a Mansfield outdoor faucet that was leaking out of the spout slowly. I am not really all that handy, but thought I could manage to replace the seat washer. I had a few washers I had bought in a box of several of the most common washers in leaks for faucets, and I thought I had the right one. I put it back together, and it stopped for about 3 days before it started to leak again.

I figured I had the wrong washer so I took it back apart and replaced it with another one of the washers that looked right. I put it back together and when I turned the water on inside the house the water poured out of the faucet even when the water was turned off on the handle. I cannot shut off the water no matter if the handle is turned off or on unless I shut of the water inside the house. It is coming out like the faucet is turned on. Did I not put something back together right or is something broken? Any help is appreciated. I am hoping this is an easy repair as I finished the basement about 6 months ago with no access to the pipes near the faucet inside.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to replace the whole thing...If you are unable to do it your self you should call what ever plumber you use or depending on what part of Dayton your in I can come do it...I live in Warren Co.. PM me if I can help.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Take the advice from Cass. It is very possible the threads on the stem and or housing are shot.

Attachments

• Mansfield.jpg
    Mansfield.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 27,087

DaytonOhioGuy

Reaction score
Even if I can get a new stem for my faucet? I am trying to avoid cutting holes in the side of my newly finished basement.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
Hi Ohio Guy,

To replace the stem will require no holes being cut in the walls, simply installs from the outside (as when you rebuilt the bibb washer).

It sounds like when you repaired the bibb washer, the backflow device was damaged, leading it to continually leak outside the stem. If you replace the stem, that should stop the leak through the stem, however, of the seat is damaged from the leak, a tool is required to "dress" the seat and repair it.

Prier bought Mansfield, so they provide stems through distributors. Get the length of your stem and buy a new one, then swap it out.

Good luck.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And then after all that the damn thing still leaks and you replace it...
Somethings aren't worth a lot of time and effort.:cool:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Long ago I learned the hard way by repairing them and 1-6 months later getting a call back that the repair didn't work...I no longer repair them...I will turn down the job if they don't want it replaced...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I didn't learn about it from the callback factor...
I learned about it from running around finding the part then going back and installing it and not having it work...
Now I either reach in the truck and pull out a new one to install or drive away.
The only ones I would even try to fix now would be the Moen H/C Sillcock (which hasn't happened yet) or, a Woodford. All the rest are disposable!
Either way it's an exercise in futility!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks