new pump. Did it go dry?

Users who are viewing this thread

kaju

Reaction score
I just put in a new jet type pump last week. This was an old well that already existed when I bought this house. It had an old jet type pump with 80 feet of pipe that I pulled out. I checked and found the well to be 150' and I hit water at 25'. I replaced it with a new pump but the new injector would not go down the hole. I took the old injector and put it on and the pipe went down easily. I put 100' of pipe in and everything went fine. It pumped with a good flow I ran it all night to check it and everything was fine. today I was watering the grass and about five minuts later it NO WATER. The pump was running but no pressure and no water. I just turned off the electricity and came in here to type this. did I loose prim (because of the old injector) or run out of water in the well. If I ran out of water how dose one know. if so what should I do. I was thinking maybe add about 25' to the drop. I came here to ask first. Help me out guys

Speedbump

Reaction score
What Brand of pump, model number if you have it and do you know if it has more than one impeller?

Chances are, you don't have a backpressure control on the Pump and it's losing prime.

bob...

kaju

Reaction score
What Brand of pump, model number if you have it and do you know if it has more than one impeller?

Chances are, you don't have a backpressure control on the Pump and it's losing prime.

bob...
I do not know how many impellers it is a red jacket pump model#jetpump 100DRJ hopefully you can tell from the pics Im attatching

Attachments

• pump 007.JPG
    pump 007.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 336
  • pump 008.JPG
    pump 008.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 368
  • pump 009.JPG
    pump 009.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 333
  • pump 010.JPG
    pump 010.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 305

Speedbump

Reaction score
Red Jacket never made their own Jet Pump until the EZ Prime (If I remember correctly) so who knows who's Pump you have now, since ITT bought them and started mixing all the different Pumps together, you could have a Goulds for all I know.

Your Ball Valve is the closest thing I see to a Backpressure Control. I recommend you get rid of it before someone closes it and causes your Pump to go south.

What you need is located near the bottom of this page: Jet Pumps

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

kaju

Reaction score
Red Jacket never made their own Jet Pump until the EZ Prime (If I remember correctly) so who knows who's Pump you have now, since ITT bought them and started mixing all the different Pumps together, you could have a Goulds for all I know.

Your Ball Valve is the closest thing I see to a Backpressure Control. I recommend you get rid of it before someone closes it and causes your Pump to go south.

What you need is located near the bottom of this page: Jet Pumps

bob...
Ok I can replace the ball valve with the back pressure control valve but how do I know if the well is being pumped below the static level. I dont think it is being pumped below static level but I would really like to know. My neighbor who's well is about 250' away ( I dont know how deep) has never had a water level problem since he bought the place in 1972. He uses his well dailey and irigates a large yard and garden. I have seen it run a week at a time.

I removed the prime cap (a cap I put in to prime the pump as I built it- see picture) and the it was full - Water ran out. I know that is not an indicater that the pump lost prim because the impeller house could still be full. but when I saw that it was full of water I decided not to try and re-prime untill I had more information.

If I were to-re prime the pump would I have a good flow again if the static level has not droped? or if the static level has droped would it not flow again after re-priming it. Thank you for the link I will get on that asap.

Attachments

• pumpwa.jpg
    pumpwa.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 293
Last edited by a moderator:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your plug should be facing up, not sideways, it would make it easier to pour water in.

The only way to know if your water level is dropping is to let the Pump run open discharge on the ground (after installing a backpressure control). If it slowly gets less and less water then just quits all at once, it's the water level. If you put 30 feet of droppipe with a Footvalve on the bottom, you won't have to worry about the water level anymore.

bob...

kaju

Reaction score
Your plug should be facing up, not sideways, it would make it easier to pour water in.

The only way to know if your water level is dropping is to let the Pump run open discharge on the ground (after installing a backpressure control). If it slowly gets less and less water then just quits all at once, it's the water level. If you put 30 feet of droppipe with a Footvalve on the bottom, you won't have to worry about the water level anymore.

bob...
Thank you. I Understand about the plug. I will redo that when I put in the control valve. not careing if it was up or sideways I made it so I can attatch a water hose to it. I will have to redo it al this weekend. Ill get back and let you know what happens.

the slow drop in water pressure is what is left in the pressure tank. true? because that is exactly what happened when It stoped working.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Well that could be part of it, but when the water level drops because of a bad producing well, it will make the Pump produce as much water because of having to push it further up to get it to the surface.

bob...

kaju

Reaction score
OK I'm back from last week. I bought a back pressure control valve by mail order from a link Speedbump gave. I got it in yesterday. last night I put 30 feet extra to the drop and tried to install the back pressure control valve but I have never worked with one so cloudlessly I installed it. I believe I may have it installed back-words. It has a pressure Gage on it. the pressure gauger pegs past 100 lbs and I do not get any water. I turned it off and came here to ask more questions. First did I install it back wards? 2nd How do you know what is in and what is out. It has four female threaded places to screw into.I read the instructions but the instructions gave no indication as to what was what. I just made an uneducated guess as to what was in and what was out.
HELP ! ! !

Speedbump

Reaction score
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Keep in mind, the pressure switch tubing has to go to the outlet discharge tap which is 1" female pipe thread. You can see where the gauge is, that's where you prime the Pump. When starting the Pump, the bolt should be all the way in (in until you feel a lot of resistance, don't force it) then when the pressure jumps up to a high setting, start backing the bolt off until the Pump sounds like it has marbles in it. At this point you have gone too far, turn it back in a turn and a half and leave it there. This should all be done while Pumping open discharge (don't hook the discharge up to the tank yet).

bob...

Attachments

• Bckprsctrl1.jpg
    Bckprsctrl1.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 256
  • Bckprsctrl2.jpg
    Bckprsctrl2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 267

kaju

Reaction score
Thank you sppedbump. I understand how the regulater works and how to set it. but I dont understand why I do not have any water coming out. and why is the pressure gage is pegging past 100. I have it set on the pump like in the picture. I did not have the pressure tube placed like the picture.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the pressure gauge is on the Pump side like shown in the Picture, you will be reading Pump pressure, not tank/system pressure. This is important because at 100 lbs, chances are you have it set all the way up and no water is getting through the valve. When unscrewing the bolt, the water will start coming through. The more you open it, the more water comes through (to a point) and the less pressure you will see.

The switch has to be on the Tank side of the Valve or you will hammer your motor to death.

bob...

kaju

Reaction score
OK stupid me. I said I understand how the back pressure control valve regulator worked. But obviously I didn't. Now I feel stupid. I thought it worked like a regulator on my gas welding regulator. the more you turned it in the more gas was let through. That is where My problem lies.
Thank you speedbump. I will go home tonight and work on it again and get back in the am and let you know how it worked out.:D

kaju

Reaction score
OK, I'll be waiting for the good news. I thought something was amiss when you said you had 100 psi.

bob...
Thank you speedbump ! ! !
everything is A ok. Thanks to your experties everything is working fine for the moment.
Funny thing. I knew what you were talking about when you said it will sound like marbles are in the pump, because I have heard that before. Last night when I was turning the regulator I never heard the sound. It sounded smooth through out the whole prosses. I dont knom. I just had to make a good guess at what would be a good place to set it.
Thank you again and God bless you.:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks