What pressure switch do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Toestub

Reaction score
I recently remodeled the pump system for irrigation in our water user's association. We have a septic tank for pumping out of, water comes from a pond 1/2 a mile away. Pump is a 3 hp 230V centrifugal, was originally regulated with a pressure switch. Problem was the tank would run dry quick, then the switch would cut out, and it was a manual restart. So we couldn't irrigate. I put a float switch in the tank, it works great! Cuts in when the tank is full, cuts out when the tank is empty. Auto cut in when it fills again. But neighbor wants a pressure switch because he can't turn off the valves at his place to move water, has to walk 200 yds to turn off the pump. (Waaaa!!) So is there a pressure switch I could use that is similar to ana air compressor switch, auto cuts out when pressure is above, say 50 psi, auto cuts in when pressure is below that? And will work in line with the float switch and pump?? TIA, toestub

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't want a pressure switch. You would need a large tank or a throttling valve of some kind. Also, it isn't clear how that would help your neighbor.

The best solution is a start the pump with a contactor (you probably have that now with a 3 HP pump and a level switch).

You can run a 24 Volt line to a small relay that will control the coil of the contactor and give him a switch that he can use to turn off the pump.

I don't know what you do if you want it on and he wants it off, but you probably have that figured out.

Send a reply to this with details of your pump control system (contactor? Volts of coil. How you control on/off with neighbor) and I can tell you how it would be set up to let him control the pump. He can run the bell wire across his yard.

If you really want to get fancy for about $40 worth of parts you can have a radio frequency remote control that will do the job. That is probably less expensive than 200 yards of bell wire and transformer that you would need to hard-wire it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks