bathtub faucet leak

Users who are viewing this thread

spaceriqui

Reaction score
I need some assistance fixing a leaky water faucet. I got as far as removing the handles and covers, but found no hex nut sticking out of the tile. I do see what may be serrations. Do I need a special tool for this or am I missing something? The house was built in 1932 but I do not know if these are original.

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_1960-2.JPG
    DSC_1960-2.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_1963-2.JPG
    DSC_1963-2.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 195

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Either that stem just unscrews from the valve body, (and if so it will take a bit of effort to pull the stem packing out at the same time), or you have to make a bigger opening in the tile to get to the fasteners that have to be removed. Which you have to do may depend on whether this is a single handle or two handle faucet. A single handle will need a larger opening in the tile.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Could you post a pic of the handles? It does appear that the tile installer was just too "cute" and you may need to nibble away some tile for better access. Valves need to be installed with some access around the stems, and large globs of plumbers putty prevent any incidental leakage into the interior.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Make the opening larger and then see if there is a hexagonal section behind the wall. If there is that is where it comes apart, if not then you unscrew the stem out of the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks