shower drain & p trap code question

Users who are viewing this thread

nc8861

Reaction score
Watching some TLC tonight on some home improvement show and this guy says that according to code, compression fittings on a shower p trap can't be used in an area where you can't get to - the example on the show was a second floor bathroom between floor joists. Is this true? Does everything have to be glue joints?

I'm in a 30 yr old house, 2nd floor bathroom - only access from 1st floor would be through the kitchen ceiling.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Compression fittings on tub drains have been around since long before glues pipe. I have heard that some local codes don't allow them, but in general I think you can still use them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

The compression part is the inlet. The large nut is a ground joint. But regardless, I would NEVER use that trap in a concealed location. I have seen too many of them with snapped locknuts at the ground joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks