Finishes on Plumbing Fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

Ellen Norton

Reaction score
My contractor is encouraging us to use polished chrome finishes, feeling this holds up the best. Designers like brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze (more expensive), and so do I. However, I'd go for the polished chrome if you think it's more durable. Ellen:confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The manufacturers seem to claim that the new designer finishes are very long lasting. The "brushed" or "satin" seem to be harder to keep clean, and seem to get a different patina with age. For anything but polished chrome, it is absolutely mandatory to confirm that the finish is "PVD". This is the process which gives the longevity, and a regular plated finish ( anything but chrome) will croak in a year.

You will pay a premium for any finish but chrome, just like you pay a premium for any sink, tub, toilet, or refrigerator in anything but white.

As you may have guessed, many of us are old fogies, and partial to the "regular old stuff"... but if you do your research, you will be OK.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
finish

Not that it is a lot of comfort when you have to take something apart to install the new part, but many of the better brands have a "lifetime" warranty on their finishes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks