(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Finishes on Plumbing Fixtures

Question Finishes on Plumbing Fixtures

My contractor is encouraging us to use polished chrome finishes, feeling this holds up the best. Designers like brushed nickel and oil rubbed bronze (more expensive), and so do I. However, I'd go for the polished chrome if you think it's more durable. Ellen

I think the polished chrome is more durable than the more expensive finishes. It is also timeless.

The manufacturers seem to claim that the new designer finishes are very long lasting. The "brushed" or "satin" seem to be harder to keep clean, and seem to get a different patina with age. For anything but polished chrome, it is absolutely mandatory to confirm that the finish is "PVD". This is the process which gives the longevity, and a regular plated finish ( anything but chrome) will croak in a year.

You will pay a premium for any finish but chrome, just like you pay a premium for any sink, tub, toilet, or refrigerator in anything but white.

As you may have guessed, many of us are old fogies, and partial to the "regular old stuff"... but if you do your research, you will be OK.

Default finish

Not that it is a lot of comfort when you have to take something apart to install the new part, but many of the better brands have a "lifetime" warranty on their finishes.