replacing baseboard

Users who are viewing this thread

Richb2

Reaction score
We recently had our bathroom redone and the plumber put in a new baseboard which looks great. I now want to replace the two baseboards in my kitchen. What is the process? Do I need to "drain" the system and then refill it? How do I do this? How will I remove the old ones? Do I cut the copper tubing with a tubing cutter and then solder the new ones in place? Any links would be appreciated.

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, you need to first drain the system, at least to a point lower than the baseboard units you will be replacing. You would probably be better to unsolder the existing baseboards because if you cut the piping then it may be too short to solder the new ones in place. After replacing the units you would then refill the system and bleed the air.

Why do you want to replace your baseboard convectors? If it is purely for aesthetic reasons you might prefer to just replace the housings. It is a bit of work depending on how the originals are fastened in place (nails instead of screws) but it is probably cheaper and easier than replacing the plumbing parts also. You can buy just the housings.

Richb2

Reaction score
Well these baseboards are on the first floor while the oil burner is in the basement. I need some written instructions on how to bleed the air.

I am not sure which part is the convector.

x
x zz y
x zz y
x zz y
x zz y

This is a side cut through view. The x part is attached to the wall (with nails). The zz part is the fins. The y part is a cover. The roof of the x and the y parts are painted with old paint. I am not sure you can get the x part out without removing the fins (zz).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks