sandpoint trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Brett W

Reaction score
kinda new to this and having many troubles.
I have a 27 ft sandpoint well with a 2 foot screen. roughly 4 ft of water in the pipe. I can prime it with a hand pump and then when I run my jet pump I have very little pressure coming from the faucet. If I turn the faucet off the pump will run without ever building up enough pressure in the bladder tank to shut it off. If I let it run like this I end up losing the prime in a matter of 10 min. If I leave the faucet open it will run with little pressure for as long as I want it to? The check valve is working fine as I thought that was the problem and put another new one on.
At the begining of season had the same problem. Got the pump rebuilt with a new impellar, dug up the pipe, put a new point on and check valve. got it working fine. now it has crapped out again.
Could the impellar be gone again. It is an older pump according to the guy that rebuilt it, Should I just buy a new one and if so 1/2 or 3/4 horse.
Does it require a deep well attachment or would a straight jet pump suffice?

please advise as I really have no idea on this thing
thanks

Brett W

Reaction score
not the pump

I went and got a new pump and hooked it up and the same result.
can prime it no problem with a hand pump. water goes from dirty to clear but still very little pressure. I installed a clear hose on the suction side and there are very little for air bubbles being pulled into the pump. What is there, is being pulled in rather slowly in my mind. Not sure if this has anything to do with my pressure problem.
Could the water table have changed and I need to pull my point up a few feet? I have lowered it about a foot now with no change in results.
please help, this pump is going to lead to a divorce...

Brett W

Reaction score
today I had the same results. Pulled the pipe up about 2 feet and was not able to pull any water. went back down about three feet and have still very little pressure. The check valve holds water but on the other side of the check valve it loses the prime. Put dish soap on the connections prior to the check valve hoping it would pull it into the pipe and I could see if one was loose but no luck. I do have 2 connections buried in the ground but I prefer to not pull the whole pipe up ...again.....
Could it be a simple as needing to go deeper. I thought there was 4 feet in the pipe but have second guessed myself and now think there was only about 30 in.
If there was not enough water down there would that explain my low pressure, air bubbles and losing the prime?

anyone have any thoughts ?.?.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Your two feet from the pump not priming at all. This is most of your problem. A very small air leak in any one of the joints is all you need to top it off.

You really don't have much of a well with only 4 foot of water in a 27' well.

Where did you find a 2' screen??? The smallest I have ever seen was three feet.

bob...

Brett W

Reaction score
3 foot point

the point itself is 3 feet, but the screen on the point is 24".
should I be going deeper to get more water in the pipe? the pipe is 1 1/4 galvanized.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is this one of those Hardware specials? Going deeper might or might not help, the only way to know is to try.

bob...

Brett W

Reaction score
no, just an off the shelf item at Cdn tire. perhaps it is called a three foot point and I am just mistaken. I will try and go down a little further and let you know what happens.
Could the lack of water be causing my air bubbles though, or does it sound like I have a loose connection?

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are lots of Well Points on the market, some good some not so good. If you have the one I think you do, you won't be getting much water through it no matter what you do.

An air leak can really mess up an already fine well.

bob...

Shallow Well

Reaction score
Speed bump is Correct

As I found out the long slow hard way, the well point is the heart of the system. In my opinion with lots of reacherch You need to invest in a high quality stainless steel sloted point to get great short and long term results for your efforts to make a well produce, assuming you have ample water and soil conditions to support the volume of water you need. Dont waste your time and money on a lesser well point, go with quality.

Brett W

Reaction score
losing prime still

it is a stainless point but I did only pay 100 bucks for it. is that a crappy one? It was the only one they carried.
I pulled the pipe again this weekend re-did all the connections. one about 18 ft down and checked the point. water flows thru no problem.
hooked it all back up and still an air leak. re did all the connections at the pump with no change. the check valve hold water but I loose the prime below it.
If I am losing the prime there has to be a leak somewhere right? or could it be that the point is not totally submursed? I tried going down a foot and no change??..??

Speedbump

Reaction score
You paid a lot for that Point. What kind of SS Point is it? Does it have screen wrapped around a piece of 1-1/4" pipe with slots and/or holes cut in it? Do the holes have individual pieces of screen imbedded into the holes? Or some other wierd configuration?

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks