Pex in a bad neighborhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bombjay

Reaction score
I am doing a repipe in a crummy part of town.OK.
Owner wants everything redone in pex.Ok fine.
But on the top story bathroom everything will be exposed in the bathroom.
Lines out of the walls.The thieves that stripped the place took the fixtures,piping and even the cords from the appliances! So...in this west facing sunny room what do you guys think.It's been deemed to put in Qest/Zurn and I don't think they have a pex al pex out yet.Cpvc? Armaflex?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Armaflex should take care of the uv exposure.

Haven't you heard about the problems with Zurn?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Armaflex will also take care of any hope of making it look presentable. If thieves took the copper tubing out of the walls, then why can't the PEX be put back inside them. Or, if the piping is still in the walls, why can't it be reused.

Bombjay

Reaction score
This room was originally exposed piping and the cheap *b* doesn't want to open up a chase for the basement on up,Which having done that in the first place would have saved him a ton.I would have far less to replace.
I explained about the problems with the Zurn fittings and have seen it in parts were the water is really bad the fittings plain FAIL.They want what they want.I have heard these are nearly gone and a plastic (something like it..) fitting is it's replacement ala Wirsbo / Uponor I think.
In thinking about it I went with cpvc and bell hangers.I hate it.For all the ugly dark blue paint in this place they can paint the cpvc also!
I used to work in crummy areas in Tampa in the late 80's and thieves were stealing the copper then. People would come home from vacation and find their aluminum siding gone too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks