Copper supply lines contaminated with PVC cement chemicals

Users who are viewing this thread

BlackCloud

Reaction score
I am at wits end and about ready to repipe the entire house.
background info:
Two years ago some work was done moving my water meter without permission which led to contamination of the entire house water system with BLUE PVC cement. The pipe junctions were glued and the water immediately turned on flushing the cement into the lines. (there may have been malicious intent for the amount found in the lines. There was previous police action involved prior that may have provoked retaliation.)
The water contained lethal levels of MEK, Acetone, and Methylene chloride according to a state lab.
I had a plumber replace whatever line that was worked on and found later it was reglued again using clear cement with a tail of cement about one inch wide and 8 inches long in the pipe from the same guys that used the blue cement. We shut off the supply at the meter replaced the section of PVC and ran air blowers through the lines for 48 hours hoping to let any cement cure if it was still in the lines. Then blew compressed air throughout the lines and changed the water heater as there was cement particles in that as well. Things seemed a little better but water tests still show the chemicals, diminishing levels thankfully but we will not use the water for drinking or bathing. I think most of the problem is the hot water as the cement has a boiling point of 104 degrees and the hot water is higher.
Aside from replumbing the house and the disaster it will cause with drywall removal and digging up a tile floor does anyone have any ideas what else would work to rid all of this stuff from the lines?
house is 6 years old and never had a problem until this event. The line from the meter to the house is PVC and the rest of the house is copper most of the lines are run in the attic of a single story and drop down to the fixtures.
I am truly at wits end on trying to cure this. Insurance won't pay for it and I am stuck.
Thanks for any ideas on how to get the pipes clear.
BC

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cement

The materials you are referring to do not "bond" to the copper and stick around for years. They either flush out immediately or after a short time. You may have some other problem, or are trying to build a litigation case.

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Thanks, now the problem really doesn't make sense if it doesn't stick to copper. I guess I can start with replacing the entire PVC line from the meter to the house. The only reason I discovered what it was is because blue cement completely blocked the tub faucet from all water flow and that is the furthest point from the water meter.
Just want my home back to a safe condition.
Thank you for your comment.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is this "Blue Cement" soft and sticky, smears really easy and is hard to remove from fingertips?

BlackCloud

Reaction score
The pieces I pulled out of the faucet and the aerator screens were a rubbery consistency.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is virtually impossible for contamination of solvents to remain in the pipe for a long time if you are using water on a regular basis. They will be diluted and carried out with the water and concentrations will become very low.

If I had to deal with this I would:

1. Have a good sediment filter with activated carbon installed on the incoming line just after it comes into the house.

2. Have water samples collected and analyzed by a certified laboratory, with the samples collected by someone from the lab. Collect one sample before the filter, one cold water sample after the filter, and one hot water sample since you have said that seems to be related to the problem.

The after-faucet samples should be taken from faucets that have had about 50 gallons run through for the cold water sample and after about 5 times the volume of the water heater has been run through the hot-water sample faucet.

It is essential that there be a "chain of custody" control for the sampling and testing.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
At first I was thinking it was a liberal application of Megalock we were talking about. Now I'm wondering if someone used a liberal application of Blue Silicne RTV.

Can you post a close up picture of one of these joints they did with the blue stuff?

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I learned about the chain of custody importance so that is not an issue. If I would have had the filter there in the first place I wouldn't have the problem. Unfortunately it is what is already in the lines throught the house that seems to be the problem. I had thought about the filter but I would need one for each outlet in this scenario.
Redwood,
Thanks yes it seemed to be more like RTV. We had the lab test that too and the chemicals seemed consistent with what is in PVC cement. It could be possible they used something else since they had made a temporary fix and were from an engineering company/builder and not plumbers. I have photos I will post later when I get home.
Thanks to everyone with any ideas. It all helps!
BC

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Are you sure the stuff isn't thread compound/sealant instead of 'glue'? I'm thinking it is thread sealant.

Are you sure it is not or didn't come in with the water from the street or from your well? The volume looks like what might be used on much larger pipe than residential water line. IMO if it were blue cement used in wet conditions, it would have stuck to the PVC pipe as soon as it touched it and again IMO, it shouldn't come off. Maybe your water company was working on their 3-12" water lines somewhere in the neighborhood.

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Thanks Gary,
I am not familiar with thread compound but something else I could look into. It is city water supply. No work going on with the lines by the city that I am aware of near the house at the time. Just a very rare coincedence if that could have happened.
Would you know if thread compound would stay in copper and have Acetone, MEK, Methylene chloride as components?
I remember they were supposed to work on the incoming line to my meter. They moved the meter and the water inspector said something about having them redo it from the street which is about 15 feet from my meter. Possibly their work on those type of pipes versus the PVC one on my side of the meter? Unfortunately I was not there to witness anything done upstream of my meter.
Thanks,
BC

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It doesn't ressemble anything I have ever used on PVC!

You could check at these links for MSDS info. These are probably the most commonly used brands that are used at least around here.

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/Products.html

Another possibility is that they used a PVC Cement that was not supposed to be used for plumbing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks