Gauge placement

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
This forum is like crack! I can't get enough...and i'm not even 1/2 as technical as you folks...

Any thoughts on temperature and pressure gauge placement in a plumbing setup?

I'm trying to get a good pressure for my expansion tank, so I figured somewhere on the cold line in would be great to evaluate the incoming city pressure...thoughts?

For temperature, i have a thermostat control on the output temperature, but does it make more sense to have the temp gauge on the hot outlet side than monitoring the incoming water temp? We don't get many cold days here in Seattle...(last winter exception)

THANKS!

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I assume this is for your tankless water heater. I doubt there is any "need" for either a pressure gauge or a thermometer either before or after the water heater but if you like to collect relatively useless information (like I do) then you could install gauges both before AND after the water heater.

I have my pressure gauge (with highest reading tattletale) more-or-less permanently connected on my main system drain just after the main shut-off valve. I have a 500 degree thermometer stuck in the flue outlet of my tank-type water heater and some day I will install a thermometer in the hot water outlet of my heater.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pressure

There is almost no such thing as a "bad" pressure in the expansion tank as long as it is less than the system's static pressure, but a gauge ANYWHERE in the system will give you the same reading. The only temperature that is critical is the one for the tempered water leaving the mixing valve. That MUST stay constant regardless of the temperatures of either the hot or cold incoming water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks