Iron Filter questions

Users who are viewing this thread

djd

Reaction score
Hello, I recently moved into a rural home with well supplied water after my retrevial pump an iron filter (not under pressure). I'm trying to find out the maintenance schedule for this beast but don't even know what its called. Its a 5000 gallon plastic cistern the water enters the top on call from the retrival pump and water comes out the bottom with little or no iron. Looking into the top of the unit it looks like the iron is building up. Anyone know how to clean this unit or what it is called.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I think you have what someone may have thought was, or actually is, a low producing well, so they installed this atmospheric storage tank.

And the water has iron it that when depressurized and aerated, causes the iron to convert to ferric iron (rust) and it builds up in the bottom of the tank.

I wonder how you managed to buy this house without finding out anything about this tank and well? I guess someone feel in love with it.

djd

Reaction score
I did find out about the well it is new, producing at over 6gpm, I was told that this contraption was an iron filter, and yes the wife fell in love with the house. Just after further investigation on iron filters I was unable to find out any more information on it. Anyway as it turns out it is just a really big slow sand filter. Thanks for the help.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You actually have sand in that tank!

In my opinion a sand filter is a poor choice for an iron problem and it will only remove ferric iron (rust) not ferrous (clear water soluble iron). A sand filter require maintenance, and should allow for sanitation of the tank every so often, and the water from an atmospheric storage tank in a basement may need to be disinfected before use.

BTW, I feel yer pain about the lover thing. :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks