(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: point driven well questions.

Default point driven well questions.

I just bought land and it has a point driven well , I dont know much about it or how old it is.It has a 1.25 inch pipe sticking out of the ground. I bought a pitcher pump and had no luck getting water to come out.I then took a long string with a socket on it and found out it is 52' to the water. The string was wet 2' up before it hit the bottom. I dont know what to do next , what kind of pump do I need ? The guy at the local store told me that the point is plugged , he said I should have 4' of water before I hit bottom. I would like to know this well is no good before I try to drive a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea I dont need alot of pressure just want to be able to fill the holding tank on my travel trailor.Also if I do halve to drive a new well do I need 2" pipe or is 1.25 big enough. Thanks for any help

Unless there was water within 25 feet of the top of the pipe, that old point was/is useless.

If you have any doubts about the water table, you need to use 2-inch pipe and point, which will allow the use of a deep-well jet pump, employing a packer system, and that can get you water from 50 feet down.

Now, just for filling a tank, and nothing more, you could get primitive, and use a well cylinder, like our farming ancestors did, when they used wind power to get their water.

Previous member

If the water level is below 25 feet, no pump will work on an 1-1/4" Well. If you put in a new one, you need at least 2" Pipe to put a Deep Well Jet into. Three inch or larger you can go with a Submersible Pump.

bob...

This makes me wonder why there would be a 1.25" well there if it is not possible to use. where would I get that primitive set up to use the one that is there. I am having trouble convincing the wife I need to spend a lot more money just for my hunting camp, I can do it if i have to but would like to use the well if at all possible. If it isnt possible what size pump do I need if I drive a 2" well. And do I also need a tank.Also I have a 7500 watt generator to run pump hopefully it will run whatever size pump I need. Thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by trapper; 07-16-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Previous member

Wow Boots and I posted at the exact same time, with the same answer.

Dig down and see if the pipe isn't larger below. It could be a larger well. But with only 2' of water in the bottom, it's not much of a well anyway.

Worry about the tank when you get a well that works.

A pump is not all that is needed to drive a well that deep. You might want to get a driller to do that for you.

bob...

Wet boots what is a packer system ? I would like to drive my well by hand if it is at all possible, and not sure how big of a pump to buy