Sharkbite to water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the o-rings in faucets and valves need to slide or rotate. In a sharkbite, once it is installed, it's stationary, so it should be pretty long-term. Neoprene as used in a no-hub seems to last a very long time, and the o-ring is probably similar. deriding them out of hand is your right, but may be unfounded. Testing says they last. Improper installation can damage them and could either cause them to fail on install, or early.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I am a plumber and do just conditioning equipment which is out in the open. You must not get in the trap of comparing the two (fixtures and sharkbites)as one of the same, because the o-ring in the sharkbite is static (it never moves) and none of the parts move against it.

An o-ring is a very reliable and robust seal. If you don't trust an o-ring, would you also not trust a PEX fitting behind the wall?

I know a plumber that will do a whole house with a pro-press ... I never had a joint leak after learning how to prep the joint. We had one joint leak 2x because it had scale and pitting on the existing pipe ... Viega said in the case of an old pipe, first use steel whole to remove the scale (no problems since).

Valid points on the comparison between mobile & static rubber parts.
My point...observe the condition of a toilet flapper used on public water supplies after just a few years in some areas.

Jim, mechanical gaskets aren't under pressure...and my state only allows them underground.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Still though the only time they ever get replaced is when you cut one sliding the valve back into the stop check...
They don't mysteriously go bad!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks