is it possible to convert back outlet toilet plumbing to down outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

easr

Reaction score
hi there!
I hope my title made sense...

we are doing a bathroom remodel in our loft - which is in a 1917 building that was renovated in the mid-1990s.

we had picked out a toilet we liked and then our contractor told us that we need to have a back outlet toilet (not necessarily a wall-mounted one, but back outlet specifically)... and as many of you know, the selections are minimal. we are not interested in a wall mounted toilet at all.

so my question - is it a huge ordeal to have the plumbing converted so that it can accomodate a regular "down outlet" toilet? our pipes need to be moved anyway as our toilet area is being moved several feet from its current placement - so we already do need to have plumbing work done.

thanks so much for any input!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like this is the time to do it since you are going to be redoing the drains anyway. One positive thing is you will have many more choices in toilets. I would urge you to seriously consider the Toto line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably a good idea, but it really depends on how much access you have to the drains and how they're layed out how easy or hard it will be.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If your contractor says you need a wall outlet, I would ask him if it's possible to open up the wall below your unit and the floor to move the piping around.
If it's only $3000 to move the piping, then it may be a good idea.

Or, you may want to stay with the wall outlet after all.

American Standard Yorkville
Gerber 21-310
and Kohler makes one.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Minimal selection?

Investigate ordering one from Europe, specifically England. They are all like that.

Careful with the supply line spec though. These will be in milimeters, not inches.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
And have to deal with parts locating difficulties til the end of time...

I don't think so!

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
To say nothing about shipping costs and import duties...assuming that one could even have a non-EPA certified toilet legally brought into the US.

Then the strong possibility of breakage during transit...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

As my dad used to say, "Anything is possible if you have enough time and money." Installing a floor mount toilet could take a lot of both items, depending on how the building is constructed and exactly where you want the toilet.

easr

Reaction score
thanks everyone, for the replies! It's good to know it's a possibility. we'll be meeting with our GC next week to see what he has to say - but thanks for giving me some advice in advance. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks