(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: is it possible to convert back outlet toilet plumbing to down outlet?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default is it possible to convert back outlet toilet plumbing to down outlet?

    hi there!
    I hope my title made sense...

    we are doing a bathroom remodel in our loft - which is in a 1917 building that was renovated in the mid-1990s.

    we had picked out a toilet we liked and then our contractor told us that we need to have a back outlet toilet (not necessarily a wall-mounted one, but back outlet specifically)... and as many of you know, the selections are minimal. we are not interested in a wall mounted toilet at all.

    so my question - is it a huge ordeal to have the plumbing converted so that it can accomodate a regular "down outlet" toilet? our pipes need to be moved anyway as our toilet area is being moved several feet from its current placement - so we already do need to have plumbing work done.

    thanks so much for any input!

  2. #2
    In the Trades Gary Swart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yakima WA


    Sounds like this is the time to do it since you are going to be redoing the drains anyway. One positive thing is you will have many more choices in toilets. I would urge you to seriously consider the Toto line.

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    It's probably a good idea, but it really depends on how much access you have to the drains and how they're layed out how easy or hard it will be.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  4. #4
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Blog Entries


    If your contractor says you need a wall outlet, I would ask him if it's possible to open up the wall below your unit and the floor to move the piping around.
    If it's only $3000 to move the piping, then it may be a good idea.

    Or, you may want to stay with the wall outlet after all.

    American Standard Yorkville
    Gerber 21-310
    and Kohler makes one.

  5. #5
    Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007


    Minimal selection?

    Investigate ordering one from Europe, specifically England. They are all like that.

    Careful with the supply line spec though. These will be in milimeters, not inches.

  6. #6
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007


    And have to deal with parts locating difficulties til the end of time...

    I don't think so!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts