It's just not Copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Mon Jul 14, 7:00 PM ET

FLINT, Mich. - Officials in Flint, Mich., say they've had to replace hundreds of manhole covers and grates that were probably stolen and sold for scrap.
b

The Flint Journal reported Monday that nearly 400 cast iron covers and grates have been taken from streets in the past year. A cover can fetch $20 from a scrap yard but can cost the city more than $200 to replace.
Officials in neighboring Burton say they've lost about 200 covers and grates during the same period. Utilities supervisor Mike Holzer says it leaves behind holes up to 35 feet deep.
Genesee County officials say they've been able to reduce thefts of county-owned covers by outfitting them with a bolt that is turned by a wrench only they have.

Macman

Reaction score
So who are they selling these to? No honest scrap metal dealer would be accepting manhole covers, would they? At the very least there should be a law requiring proof that the person trying to sell manhole covers represents a legitimate agency (city, county, state), or if resold that they have proof that they came from such. Anyone else should be reported immediately.

Cookie

Reaction score
That is what I think, too. Not good to receive stolen goods, I bet in my opinion, most do not do so, knowing it is.

I guess they roll in with their truck, probably had broken up the covers and mixed it in with other metals. I imagine the scrap person only looked to see what to write down, mixed metals maybe. From there the truck got weighed and then got emptied and scooped into a freight car and dispersed from there.

What these people do is just so darned dangerous. I guess it is watch where you walk, or drive.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So who are they selling these to?

Probably on e-bay just like with stolen air bags.

They steal them, put them on e-bay and utilities buy them back.

And round the circle goes.

Mort

Reaction score
The latest trend here is stealing brass/bronze grave markers. On commercial buildings they're also finding a lot of brass/bronze fire adapters that allow the fire hoses to get increased pressure when hooked up are turning up missing.

Probably wouldn't even do any good to shoot these morons....another would be right behind to pick up the brass shell casings.

Mort

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There has been, and always will be people that think they are entitled to anything and everything that can possibly be ripped off. All you can do about it is try to keep the less committed from taking yours...in other words make someone else's stuff easier or more likely to be the choice. Sad, but true.

The old college try

Engineering Technician
Reaction score
Yeah, I've heard that guys will back their trucks up to substations, somehow latch onto the copper grounding and drive out trying to rip out as much as they can from the ground. What a mess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks