Will Honda eu2000 run a 1/2 hp jet pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

km74

Reaction score
Hello I will be driving a sand point well on a remote property. I already have a honda eu2000 generator and can't afford to get another one. I was planning on buying a used 1/2 hp red lion shallow well pump. The pump is 500 kms away and I don't know anyone around here that has one for me to try out to see if it will trip out the generator. I know that starting up these pumps requires more power than than keeping them running. I don't wan't to commit to buying this pump if the genny won't start it. Anyone have any experience with the honda 2000 and a jet pump of that size. Thanks

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have a 2500 watt generator that can start and run a 1/2 hp pump just fine, but it does grunt a bit for just a couple of seconds. My guess is that your 2000 will be borderline for starts, but possibly okay if the pump spins freely and easily during startup.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had a project where two 1/2 HP pumps (one at a time) had to be run off a 2500 watt inverter on a solar powered system. I set up a priority-control relay system and used shallow well jet pumps with Permanent Split Capacitor (PSC) motors, which have lower starting current requirements.

The only pumps I could find with PSC motors were Myers QD50S. They are not easy to find and they are not packaged adequately for shipping, so I had to pay extra for packaging.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Emerson makes that type of Motor. PSC, no start cap, no centrifugal switch, no headaches. That's all I sell for replacement motors. Here with all the Ants we have, they are practically trouble free. I don't know of any Pump manufacturers that use this Motor on their Pumps, but you could always change the Motor after the purchase.

bob...

km74

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I looked at the myer website and the instructions for wiring the pump says it must have a permanent ground wire. I was hoping for something to just plug in with a 3 prong plug to a 120 outlet on my generator wherever I needed it so it will be more portable. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you will find that the permanent ground is a disclaimer from Myers to cover them in the event of someone getting shocked.

The generator will run an AC motor without a ground wire. I have done it many times.

bob...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
generator

With a generator, it is its own selfcontained power plant. The "permanent" ground wire is the third terminal on the plug and the ground is the generator frame.

km74

Reaction score
I ended up buying the myer qd50. The generator will start that one no problem in eco mode just a little grunt. With the other 1/2 hp red lion pump it would not start it at all and would trip out the generator. Thanks again for all the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks