Moisture protection beneath CBU floor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi -

Just a quick question here... I plan to put down some cement board over the subfloor, prior to placing tile.

My question: do I need to add some sort of moisture protection (e.g. poly sheet) beneath the cement board?

I know this is advisable behind cement board wall for a tub surround, but then again, there is much greater chance for water infiltration. Still, spills, etc. can occur on a bathroom floor, so I thought I'd see what everyone thought...

thx!

B2CHR

Reaction score
No vapor barrier. I allways set the backer board in thinset so you can't use a VB. If I have to tear up the floor first then I put 30pd felt paper between the two layers or plywood.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nothing on the floor! Embedding the cbu in thinset is mandatory - this fills in any minor imperfections and provides 100% support for the tile...voids and possible movement are death to tile. Also, use the special mess tape on the seams.

I'd rather use something like Ditra, though...SO much easier to install, and you can carry all you need for a big room on your shoulder in one trip. www.schluter.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks