removing wall

Users who are viewing this thread

dotsnider

Reaction score
Can someone help me? I have a ranch style house with a truss roof and I would like to remove a wall between my kitchen and my living room. The wall is in the center of my house. the truss roof run front to back and the wall i want to remove is side to side. I also have an addition coming off the back, that roof ties in with the main house trusses. Should I plan on putting in a header or not?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If I read you correctly, the wall is likely supporting the trusses, thus could be a load-bearing wall. Removing it may not be an option without major work. I'd check with a structural engineer...might cost you a bit, but better than having the house fall down! If it is determined not to be structural, then it can come out. If it is, then the engineer can tell you what would be needed to do it safely and keep the house intact.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The wall is in the center of my house ...
I also have an addition coming off the back, that roof ties in with the main house trusses. Should I plan on putting in a header or not?

If the wall in the center of the house runs from one end to the other, it is possibly a supporting wall that should not be disturbed without some engineering.

If the wall (or the part of a wall) you want to remove is directly in front of the addition, it might be needed to support the overlapping roof.

If the area you want to open in the wall is under only three or four trusses, a properly-supported header would possibly be adequate. In any case, you do need someone who truly knows structural dynamics to take a first-hand look and professionally advise you there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks