Installing Toilet shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

theragirl

Reaction score
Hi there, I am renovating a bathroom in my new(old) house. I need to replace the toilet but it doesn't have a shut off valve. Is this something I can do myself. I am doing all the other reno's myself. Are there any links or written directions for this. I'm told now with compression fittings that I should be able to do myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks:rolleyes: Oh and if someone could give me a list of things I would need.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's handy to have a shutoff specifically for the toilet. Whether you can install one easily depends on how it is currently setup...a picture of what is there now would make advising you more reliable.

Measure from the finished wall (not the baseboard) in back of the wall to the bolts holding the toilet down. Unless you have a weird toilet, that is the rough-in dimmension, and determines the toilets that will fit. "normal" in the USA is 12", but it could be some other value. You don't want to pick a toilet then find it doesn't fit!

Depending on the status of the toilet flange, supply line, and subflooring (if there were leaks, the floor could be rotten), the install could be easy or hard. Sometimes you can't tell until you get things apart.

A toilet is fairly heavy, so lifting it into position might tax some people, male OR female. Also, 1-piece are heavier than 2-piece toilets, since on many, you can install the tank after setting the bowl in place (thus, there's less to lift).

A picture of what you have would make advising better. In the meantime, search for Terry's 'sample toilet installation instructions' to get a generic idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks