Shim a toilet install -- how much is too much?!

Users who are viewing this thread

yipcanjo

Reaction score
First of all, this is a *great* message board. Thanks Terry & Co.! :)

My wife and I have recently tiled our main bathroom. What an improvement over the (suspect) vinyl flooring that was in there before! We're also about ready to install an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet due to the 10" rough-in that we discovered. Fun stuff! Unfortunately, there is ONE tile that is a bit wonky -- just underneath the toilet, if you can believe it. Figures. If I shim the back of the toilet, however, it feels fine. The catch? It looks like it's going to take 4 pennies on each side in the back to make it right. Is that too much? Another option, perhaps, is to grind some tile down, but I don't really want to get into that...

Thanks!

shim_it.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That should be okay. Polyseamseal caulk works well to cover up things like that and make the connection more sanitary (prevents 'misses' from leaking under the toilet). If you have spare tiles and caulk, you can remove the caulk around that tile, beat it in the middle with a hammer (wear safety glasses!), and pry it out in pieces, then replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks