poly fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

davidw

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm putting in a new pressure tank and for various reasons want to put it in a different location. I need to add about 15 feet of 1" poly to the supply line from the well. Questions: Is there a usage difference between the nylon and galvanized barbed unions and which would you recommend using? Is there a better way to join the pipe other than the barbed fitting? Thanks.
David

Speedbump

Reaction score
There is no other way. Barb fittings have to be used with Poly. I would go with the Galvanized not the Nylon.

bob...

davidw

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of using PVC inserts. They would work with the Polyethylene? I agree with Gary on the galvanized. The plumbing on the old pressure tank is galvanized and is almost completely blocked after 14 years. But I didn't want to use nylon if they would compromise strength. The tank is in the crawl space, by the way.

If I do go with the barbed couplings, any tips for installing them? I've heard they (especially larger ones) can be a beast to get all the way in.
David

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I do go with the barbed couplings, any tips for installing them? I've heard they (especially larger ones) can be a beast to get all the way in.
David

Apply modest heat to the pipe before inserting the fitting. Some suggest hot water, others use a heat gun or hair dryer, some use a torch with great care.

A hammer is often helpful when inserting the first end of the fitting into the pipe. If you can get a two-hand grip on it and push against something you can usually get them in.

The PVC insert fittings have quite a reduction in area that causes some loss of pressure, and they are usually molded with a sharp internal corner at the insert. I use them but I chamfer the inside of the fitting at the inlet end to smooth the flow. It doesn't take much to make a big difference in pressure loss at the fitting.

davidw

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I finished the install last night. I decided to go with the nylon barb. Brass(bronz) would have been better than galvanized, but the local hardware store only had the nylon and galvanized. The first side I was able to muscle in by twisting and pushing, but the second was somewhat more difficult. I wasn't too thrilled about using a hair dryer while sitting in a puddle of water, so I carefully used a torch to warm the pipe. I was then able to get it in up to the last barb.
David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks