New toilet selection questions

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
Having only used them, I now have to buy one, and, as usual, another research project... now on toilets! Anyhow I'm totally remodeling a small master bath & the orignial toilet was a Kohler, 29 yrs old that really never gave me any problems. Since my new bath tub is a Kohler Villager, I'd like to stick with a Kohler for the color match, biscut. Viewing Kohler's website provided some good information & I also reviewed the info charts at Home Depoit for both Kohler & American Standard toilets. I still have a few questions.

What are the pros/cons of a 1 piece versus 2 piect toilet? I kind of like the style of a 1 piece.

What is the practical difference between Kohler's Class 5 technology versus their Ingenium system? Is the Ingnium system more like my 29 yr old toilet?

What is the practical difference of flushing performance between a 5, 8, &10?

My toilet location is next to the tub & the old toilet was rather short in length, say 25-26". Would you think the full size toilets 28-30" are too big?

Thanks for any answers or guidance.
FJK

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Ingenium was basically just an old style flush with both a siphon set, and some rim flush. Not very good. Class 5 is what Kohler calls their toilets with the large trapway/large flush valve. This is a better flush.

The numbers 1 to 10 are Home Depots made up numbers. I would refer to the MAP test for more detailed comparison

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would also refer to Terry's consumer reports page...
https://terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

The MaP Report is a great test on flushing ability but tells nothing about quality.
The Am. Std. Champion is a prime example of that. It tests at 1,000 GmPF but is on its 4th redesign and still doesn't have happy customers!

Last edited:

RyanP

Reaction score
These are some great questions, FJK. I'd be curious to know if you have gotten any information on the 1st and the 4th one? Please post it if you do! Thanks a lot.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The biggest difference in 1 vs 2-piece toilets is the look...a 1-piece is probably easier to keep clean because it has less nooks and crannies for crud to hide. It's heavier upon initial install, but shouldn't be an issue with a pro and many people trying to install on their own. A 2-piece, you can usually install the tank after you get the base installed, so it's eaiser to set on the flange and wax ring, but you should only have to do it once, so shouldn't be the deciding factor. A one-piece will typically cost you more since it is a more complicated assembly at the factory. With a tank, it doesn't have to be as exact nor does it need to hand assembly and cleanup process to mate the tank to the bowl that is required in the factory.

FJK

Reaction score
Ryan P
You can see jadnasua answered the first question. In the past, if I had to remove or install a toilet, I did it tank & all, so I don't think installing a 1 piece toilet is a big deal. I can also see how they are easier to keep clean, which is a big deal for me. I live by myself in a fairly large house, so keeping up on house cleaning limits my time for other things. In fact, I searched this form for Kohler toilets & do not like the fact that they have issues with bowl rinse. That is my complaint with my 29 yr old toilet... the bowl surface is probably etched & it needs cleaning twice a week. Thanks to Redwood, I'm looking at Toto toilets which seem to be styled more toward my liking, either 1 piece or 2 piece designs. I may have more questions coming up on Toto. Only problem for me with Toto is limited dealers in the Chicago area. I've got a feeling, based upon the dealer list, I'll pay an arm & leg for one. However, it will be worth it if they look good & work as well as others say.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have you been to Toto's website to see the full line?
http://www.totousa.com

Once you look at the list price for the Neorest the rest of them look like a steal!:eek:

Seriously many toilets are in a home for 20, 30, or even more years. Having a toilet that never clogs and doesn't require constant fiddling to keep it working right is priceless. Even if it costs $200 more than a second choice whats that over 30 years? A penny or, 2 a day? Probably a lot less when you throw in a toilet that leaks and wastes water because of a poor design.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks