2 wells and pumps for one system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boerdoc

Reaction score
I am currently using a shallow 70' 2.5 gal/min well for my house, 4000 sq/ft. 6 kids, lots of lawn. I can't run sprinklers through a hydrant for longer than 30 minutes without running out of water. I have a second well on the property that is 500' deep and in the driest of years and at the driest of seasons last year it tested at 1.1 gal/min. The second well does not have a pump in it. Is it possible, feasible or a good idea to hook this well up into the same system. I plan to add a 3000 gal reservoir and would like to do all the plumbing atone time. How would the pumps alternate or share filling the reservoir? The wells are about 150 feet away from each other.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need:
1. A float switch in the tank that will call for water when the tank is not full.
2. Each well pump must be have a controller such as a Pumptec that will protect it from running the well dry and damaging the pump.
3. A priority control system that assures that you have adequate household water that may consist of:
a. A means to use water from the 3000 gallon tank, including a way to make sure that water remains potable, or
b. A solenoid valve that closes off the fill of the 3000 gallon tank if the household is demanding water, and some means of assuring that there is enough reserve in the well to supply household needs.

How it works:
1. The float switch actuates two power relays that tell the pump to send water to the tank.

2. Each pump tries to pump if there is water in the well.

3. The check valves in the pumps will prevent each pump from feeding backwards into the other.

4. The priority control system stops the main well from pumping to the tank when there is household demand.

Details of the priority control system depend on your needs and would have to be based on discussions to establish requirements. It can be done but it is probably beyond the scope of this forum.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You will really need a 3 pump system. Both of the wells will fill the 3,000 gallon storage tank. You can run them both with the same float switch, by using a relay that powers both pumps when the float switch is down.

Each well pump will need a dry well protection rely like a Cycle Sensor. This will cut the power to the pump when it starts pumping air. Then you can set the timer to restart the pump in 20 minutes, or an hour, depending on how long it takes for the well to recover. This will turn each well pump on and off, according to the amount of water in the well, until the 3,000 gallon tank is full and the float switch is in the up position.

Then you need a third pump in the 3,000 gallon storage tank, that will be hooked up to your pressure tank and pressure switch to feed the house. You can even use another float switch with this pump to keep the pressure switch from turning on the house pump, if the water in the 3,000 gallon tank is too low.

Boerdoc

Reaction score
Thank you for the prompt and helpful responses. That is the information that I was looking for.
Kent

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks