Help - novice to plumbing - diverter not working?

Users who are viewing this thread

phatj1227

Reaction score
First thanks for any and all help...

So yeah, after reading through this forum I have come to realize to stay away from the Pegasus, but well guess what I have a Pegasus shower/tub faucet. I took out a one piece tub/shower fiberglass and put in a whirlpool tub and tiled the surround just to give background information.

The plumbing was copper behind the wall and did not have shutoff valves so I put in shutoff valves. Then I went from a copper extension to CPVC to my diverter and from the diverter to tub spout and shower spout with CPVC.

My problem is now when I cut on the water and turn my shower handle for water in the shower, all I get is a slow trickle. Is there something that limits the water on the diverter that I need to adjust? Please forgive me as this is my first time with a shower faucet setup. Oh, and the model of the faucet is 892-611L, 898-056L, 249-437L, 249-433L, 249-411L, or 850-629L as these are all listed on the installation instructions. I assume all these models have the same diverter in them.

Thanks,

Josh

phatj1227

Reaction score
Redwood - thank you for your reply. I assume I have taken your response to what you wanted me to do. I removed the handle plate and there were two screws on each side of the diverter, both were wide open, so as a test I screwed them down and no water came out at all. I opened them back up and still get the trickle.

Any other thoughts or did I not take your response in the right direction?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry I though you were talking about a hand held shower when I said to disconnect it from the hose and see what you get out of the hose.

If what you have is a wall mounted shower unscrew the showerhead off the shower arm and see what you get.

Basically I'm saying lets check for a plugged up showerhead.

phatj1227

Reaction score
Redwood - I took off the tub spout as this is where the trickle is happening at and the trickle is still happening. I cannot even get the water up to the shower head as there is not enough water coming out.

I assume since it is not the tub spout preventing the water, the next step is to work with the diverter and all the plumbing that I just added, huh?

- Josh

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is this a brand new install?
Has it ever worked?
Do you have both the hot and cold supplies on?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

It would be an unusual diverter problem if it kept water from flowing to either the tub or shower. But the problem almost has to be where the hot and cold come together otherwise you would have one or the other flowing. Using CPVC from the valve to the tub spout many not have been one of your wiser decisions either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks