(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Basement Rough In

Default Basement Rough In

I'm starting to consider finishing my basement, which includes a full bath that was roughed in by the builder. In looking at what was done it appears that the tub was set way to close to the staircase. See the pics below. Am I missing something, or was an error made? If so any ideas for solutions?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default roughin

1. Does the 2" pipe have a p-trap in the slab?
    2. Using a flashlight, can you see the water level after pouring some water down it? Would have been nice if it had been boxed in instead to allow for any adjustments, but removing the concrete and replumbing it will not be too difficult if at all necessary.
    3. Do you have any specs or pictures of the pipe layout (with vents!)? I don't see any vent pipes in your picture; would be ideal if you had photos of the pre-pour pipe layout too.

Greg

Default rough in

Greg,
    #1 as far as the P-Trap being buried....???? I haven't popped the cap on the pipe and checked. I'll look into it and let post.

Pipe layout. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo or the layout. I'm currently checking with the builder, and the township to see if they have anything on file about how things were plumbed. As far as the vent goes there is one behind me (from the photo's perspective) a few (4-5) feet. A 3.25" thin wall PVC pipe from the concrete rising up to vent the 1/2 bath above. I assume this is the vent for the bathroom set in the basement.

Any chance the "box" is there under a thin coat of concrete.?

Its possible... Give it a hammer test!

Default drain

For a bathtub the drain appears to be in EXACTLY the right place, assuming it is also the correct distance out from the back wall. At the most it might have to be moved 1" CLOSER to the stairway or the wall moved a bit, depending on which tub and tub drain you use.

Default Tub roughin

HJ,
    Perhaps I'm missing something. The drains I see on most tubs have to be 7-10 off the rough wall. Am I looking at this the right way? Is stub out of the concrete the drain for the tub, or the overflow (with the drain shoe further to the left buried in the concrete)? See the attached pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default drain

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock_94 View Post
    HJ,
    Perhaps I'm missing something. The drains I see on most tubs have to be 7-10 off the rough wall. Am I looking at this the right way? Is stub out of the concrete the drain for the tub, or the overflow (with the drain shoe further to the left buried in the concrete)? See the attached pic.
    Both technically, but...if there is a p-trap underneath, then that stub out will be in line with the overflow pipe per your tub picture and you're good to go (as long as it's vented). I'm jealous b/c I'd like that setup in my basement, but for mine, I'd end up relocating the 2" drain pipe to install a Kerdi shower kit using a center drain. Don't know if you plan on a tub or a shower installation, though, but if the pipe by the stairs is indeed 2", then you have the easy option of installing a shower or a tub.
    Greg
    Last edited by GregO; 07-13-2008 at 02:30 PM.