How do I replace & on-slab broken toilet flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

bighunk

Reaction score

My house is on a concrete slab with cast iron leaded-in toilet flanges, and one of the flanges is broken.

Is there a new modern method I can use to replace the flange, besides having to use a leading in flange?

Thank You

Joseph

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, there are cast iron replacement flanges that have a rubber compression seal that draws tight using bolts.

RyanP

Reaction score
Can anybody provide a link to what these replacement flanges that have a rubber compression seal look like? I tried to find one at Ace, and they didn't have anything like that, and my web searches have come up empty too. Thanks for any help!
Ryan

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go to a "real" plumbing store rather than a hardware store. Nothing against Ace, I shop a one in my neighborhood on a regular basis, but a general hardware store isn't likely to have products that are not frequently purchased by homeowners.

RyanP

Reaction score
My original flange is rusted badly and cracked on one side (so it no longer holds a bolt on that side). If I use a repair ring, can I put it right over the top of the old flange? How do I screw through the old flange? Or do I remove the old flange (this seems like a challenge, but I guess I could chisel it off somehow)?

If I use an expansion flange, can I put that right over the top of the old flange? Does it need to be screwed to the floor (through the old flange), or is the expansion pressure enough to hold it? For anybody interested, I found an example of an expansion flange here (sorry...link won't work, but site is plumbing supply as one word).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are several types of repair rings, one would work. You'd need to drill some holes (a carbide bit would be needed for the cement) to anchor it. It can be installed either over or in place of the original.

If it is a 4" ID pipe, you could probably install one inside of the pipe. The height may be too high, though. the flange must sit on top of the finished floor and be anchored to it if you want your toilet to sit properly and be able to seal.

Another alternative is to just drill a hole in the concrete and install a hanger bolt at the proper location. The hole would need to be big enough to install a lead anchor, then you'd screw the hanger bolt in there (wood screw on one end, machine screw threads for the bolt on the other).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are a lot of different ways that this could be fixed, ranging from replacing the flange, repair rings, and even a spanner. Without seeing the flange it is hard to say what is best.

bighunk

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the broken flange reply

Thanks a lot for the broken flange reply,
you saved my day.

Cajun

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks