Think I screwed up

Users who are viewing this thread

apriorius

Reaction score
I plumbed in a garbage disposal and faucet set into my new granite counters today after waiting a day for the silicone to seal. The faucet and knob had rubber washers underneath, but the sprayer and soap pump had nothing. Following the instructions, I used a bead of plumbers putty underneath each. Now I'm reading that the putty can discolor granite. Will such a small application cause problems? If so, and I pull it immediately and replace it with clear silicone, will I be allright, or am I already screwed? :(

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you do it ASAP youwill be okay!

Hercules Sta-Put Ultra Plumbers Putty can also be used it is Non-Staining
Use that or Silicone RTV

sta_put_ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

apriorius

Reaction score
EDIT: Thanks Redwood...I was posting while you did, so I missed it. Already pulled them since I figured better safe than sorry. Glad I did!

Well, I figured the best thing to do was pull the items in question.

HOLY CRAP

The putty had already started to take the color of the stone! I wiped off the countertops and the rag was coming up stained the same color as the counters over the small area of contamination. These fixtures have been in place about eight hours tops.

I got all the puttey off with an old toothbrush, sprayed the heck out of it with 409 cleaner, and wiped the entire counter down with soapy water. Now I'm a little paranoid to even put these back in with silicone until I can figure out what will cut through any residue the putty left behind.

Man, I hope I caught this in time and there's no discoloration. Thanks for the great instructions, Kohler! :mad::mad: I supposed stained granite is BOLD, huh?

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea the oil from the putty soaks in... You should be fine!

This type is what I use and is safe for porous materials.

staput-ultra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

apriorius

Reaction score
Thanks again...I already have some clear GE silicone II kicking around, so I'll use it instead of making another trip to the borg. Also gonna try and dig up some rubbing alcohol tonight and give it another wipedown. I am so pleased with these counters I'll be *really* upset if eight hours was enough time to leech oil to the point of staining.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks