PVC or plastic stuck in Fiberglass Pool Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Sixfoot9in

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a pool filter that has a piece of the old filter cartridge stuck in the outlet. It is a 4 ft tall tower with access only at the top, with a diameter of about 8-10 inches. The tower and outlet are fiberglass(pretty sure) and the piece of plastic or PVC seems to be fused in the outlet all the way at the bottom. The outlet is cone shaped and the plastic remnant is also cone shaped. All that is left of the plastic is in the shape of a ring stuck in that cone shaped outlet. I have tried attaching a screwdriver to a pole and trying to pry it out as well as heating a knife or screwdriver to melt it. I also bent a small screwdriver to try to get under it and pull it out. I ended up pulling the metal shaft out of the handle of the screwdriver. The filter tower is outdated and I dont want to call a tech. Also the tower is too narrow, so power tools wont fit. Any suggestions would help.
Thank You

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Dremel makes a flexible extension for their rotary tool. Its about 3' long. You might be able to clamp the rotating end to the end of a steel pipe and use that to grind out the offending part.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks