What do you think about this design?

Users who are viewing this thread

V1rtu0s1ty

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Rainbird sent this to me. I have a question regarding the area where I drew a color blue circle. Is there something missing or something that needs to be remove on that area? I know that our village code requires us to install BFP.

v1-sprinklersystem.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Well, there is no Backflow prevention device that I can see, no system drain, and I would never ever ever ever use a compression T to hook up the the supply line inside the home, and I would never use a PVC male threaded adapter, other than that, I would say its a pretty drawing.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Well, there is no Backflow prevention device that I can see, no system drain, and I would never ever ever ever use a compression T to hook up the the supply line inside the home, and I would never use a PVC male threaded adapter, other than that, I would say its a pretty drawing.
That's a typical do-it-yourself system, showing components sold in home centers. They do provide a big letter "B" to designate a backflow preventer, saving themselves over any grief for picturing a device not applicable at a particular locale.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
This must be the guide used to install a system I ran into last week.
All schedule 40 PVC, with GALVANIZED T's....:eek: Everything leaked like a sieve, and the guy got pretty miffed when I asked if this was a Do it Yourself job.... Valve box was full of water, and the wire nuts were shorting out the speaker wire used as control wire.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The basic idea is OK, but the problems mentioned by others are very valid. The backflow preventer must be accessible. In most of the civilized world, annual inspection and certification is required of backflow preventers. A double check type can be in a box below ground level. I would put the valve that shuts the irrigation side off below ground and us a stop and waste type. Unless you live in the tropics where frost is not a problem, you must be able to blow the entire system out in the fall. You might check with local irrigation supply companies. In some areas they will design your system for free provided that you buy all of the pipe and supplies from them often at a slight discount. That's a double good deal since their designers are pros and their materials are professional quality. Even if you have to pay for the design, it will be money well spent because there are issues with pipe sizes, friction loss, pressure, gpm, etc. that lay people just are not even aware of and once the pipe is buried, you don't want to find out the system doesn't work right. I discovered this when I installed my system 25 years ago. It's still working fine other than an occasional new value or sprinkler and I did replace the controller a couple of years ago.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
design

1. It must have a backflow/vacuum breaker device installed. A double check is seldom adequate protection. It must be installed at least 12" above the highest sprinkler head.
2. A compression insert tee is a poor way to make the connection, and there is not sufficient movement to insert it properly.
3. All piping between the tee and the BFP should be metal to minimize the possibility of it breaking.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks