(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HELP! Trying to change Old Price Pfister Avante

  1. #1

    Default HELP! Trying to change Old Price Pfister Avante


    My wife and I are in the middle of a bathroom remodel project and we where at the local Home Depot and brought a nice Moen Shower Kit but it does not fit our exiting setup. I then realized I don't have a Moen, I have a Price Pfister, I should have check before hand. It's the old 8/9 Series with the rectangular shaped plate with plastic handle. I don't want to have to rip down the board board we just put up to cut pipes. Does anyone know if some of the new Price Pfister Shower kits will retrofit into the 8/9 series?

    BTW...My current plate is the two screw.

    Here is a picture of what I have. I really don't want to do anything behind the wall.
    Last edited by Terry; 10-08-2009 at 09:47 AM.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    The trim pieces of virtually any plumbing fixture are brand and often model specific...you can't exchange them sort of like trying to put a Chevy piston into a Ford engine.

    Now, depending on how old and the type of shower valve you have, you may HAVE to change it to a newer version to meet current codes. Depends on what you have and your local inspector's view of grandfathered, verses major remodel/change. All new valves must have anti-scald features. If yours doesn't, it's time to change. If you are lucky, and you can determine the existing brand, you may be able to replace the trim pieces.

    If you do decide to replace the valve, and the hole needs to be enlarged to do it (assuming you don't have access from the rear), then they do make remodel plates which will cover a bigger hole than normal.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3


    Thanks for the quick response.

    I was hoping I could use the new Price Pfister, same manufacture, kits. Maybe for now I can find a trim kit that fits it. I'm not experienced with changing it all out, and I don't have the money to pay a plumber to do it.

  4. #4
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default trim

    I think PP makes an adapter to retrofit the new non-pressure balance Avante trim to the old ones, but it has been years since I have done it so I am not sure it they still have one. It is not a stock item so you have to get it from PP if it is available. The new trim will not cover the octagonal hole you have, however.

  5. #5


    Thanks, I will try to see if I can find one. I was at Lowes last night for something else and stopped by the plumbing section and notice they had universal single unit handles. I wasn't sure if that would do it so I didn't buy it. I will look for the adapter, hopefully I can Google it.

    Thanks Again,


  6. #6
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007


    You did good by avoiding the universal kit!

    Call Price-Pfister!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts