New Sprinkler Install

Users who are viewing this thread

RTP

Reaction score
I am going to be hooking up a sprinkler to my Well. The pipe that comes out of the well into my basement is 1" but it immediately necks down to 3/4" and then feeds the house. I would like to tap in before it goes down to 3/4" with a 1" connection. Is there any problem with connecting like this?

Also if I do it this way it will be before the sediment filter. Will I need to install a filter for my sprinkler system?

Thanks for your help

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You can always buy a strainer for the sprinkler plumbing, say 100 mesh, and protect the valves and heads from sand and debris.

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
How often do you change your sediment filter? Is there sand in it?

I have run into a few wells where a filter was needed for sand, the rest just clog up with manganese and rust gunk and cause problems. If you have a well that is full of rust etc, try to avoid drip line and even spray heads in your designs. It seems like the rotors are able to handle it, the rest will require a lot of maintenance.

You can tap your well line pretty much anywhere from the well head to the home, or after the pressure tank if you would like to plumb a line back outside.

RTP

Reaction score
We have about a tablespoon of sand after a couple of months. We have no rust but the water is very hard. We get allot of white calcified buildup from the water. Will this effect certain types of sprinklers?

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Do you know your Gallons per minute of your well output?

Your design should use all available water from the well, to minimize on/off cycles of the pump.

Install the T for the sprinkler where it is most convenient, and has the best water source. If that is 4 or 5 feet after the 1" stops, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Proper sizing of your zones is much more important. If your well puts out 25 Gallons per minute, (which is not likely on a 1" feed) you would make sure that all the heads on the zones add up to 25-26 gallons per minute. If your well puts out 5 gallons per minute, make sure your zones each use 5-6 gallons per minute.

I would feel pretty comfortable installing the sprinkler before the sand filter, unless you were going to be using drip or micro irrigation, or a lot of small spray heads. The sand doesn't seem to bother the larger heads.

Last edited:

RTP

Reaction score
My Well pump is 10GPM. I did the bucket test at an outdoor faucet which is fed with a 1/2" line and got 8 GPM. If I tap into the line right after the pressure tank with 1" I was hoping to get the full 10 GPM. The other option is to tap in higher up which would be 3/4". I am not sure what the difference between the two would be.

Thanks for your help

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
You shouldn't have any trouble getting all 10 GPM out of the 3/4. Plumb 3/4 copper into and out of your Backflow preventer. Once you are in the ground, go to 1" PVC or 1" 125 PSI Poly to the valve boxes. After the valves, I would use the cheaper 80 lb poly roll pipe.

When laying out your design, you would be looking at 3-4 heads per zone. Two 3 GPM nozzles and a 4 GPM nozzle for large areas. If you have some smaller areas you could probably go down to some 2 GPM nozzles. You should still be able to get 25 to 30 ft out of a 2 GPM nozzle.

Are you planning on using open trenches, or plowing the pipe?

RTP

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It is very helpful.

I am checking on what is available to me for trenching or a pipe puller. I may end up using both as the project progresses. I own a tractor that has a trencher attachment. I will check with the dealer to see if I can rent it from him. There is also a Guy in the area that has a pipe puller so I may use him. My first area is small and goes around or through some delicate areas so will be hand digging it. I am glad the area is small

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks