Bad Iron problem, what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Cue777

Reaction score
I have been taking the samples from the well, there is a spicket right on top of the well and it is rusty Brown there. :)

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
OK, you are not following me here.... The water you get out of that faucet is coming from the water the pump is sucking into its inlet.... now how deep is that in your well? It certainly is not at the top of the water in the well.

And you are not sampling from beneath the pump's inlet.

Last edited:

ecpgroup

Reaction score
just because the Ph is 6 this does not mean it will eat the pipes. believe it or not we have some jobs where scale forms on pipes because the water is still hard and the water is 5.Ph

the filter will block after the injector hence why Mr shaksby invented this filter where it has had UK patents for years. it is ten times better then a standard triplex system.

to be honest the customer keeps asking the same questions over and over and re asking questions to confuse the situation. so best of luck

Cue777

Reaction score
to be honest the customer keeps asking the same questions over and over and re asking questions to confuse the situation. so best of luck

I have not "re--asked" the same questions over and over other than ones that have not been answered, if you can't keep up then no need for you to post.

Andy it was the filter with what I think he called the Macrolite in it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
just because the Ph is 6 this does not mean it will eat the pipes. believe it or not we have some jobs where scale forms on pipes because the water is still hard and the water is 5.Ph

If the Ph is as low as 6.5 the pipes are in jepardy. A Ph of 5.7...:eek:

NSF International has certified several copper tube and fittings manufacturers to ANSI/NSF Standard 61. All have the limitation of being certified for use in non-corrosive aqueous environments. Specifically, the pH must not be below 6.5. Otherwise, resultant copper concentrations in tap water may exceed the action level established by the EPA.
http://www.nsf.org/business/newsroom/plumbing99-1/coppercert.html

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Andy, here is what you said that I replied to in my reply to Mikey (who placed his oder today to replace his solution feeder and retention tank and carbon). I assumed your "pellet drops" meant pellet dropper or droppers.

Some pellet drops are metered. The unit mentioned above is not, I believe. The pellets are saturated and dissolve. I don't think there is much control like a solution feed pump.
Pellet droppers are not metered. They are set/adjusted to drop 0 to x pellets per pump run based on the Free Chlorine.

Solution feeders give a false sense of "control" because you mix a solution to a certain volume of chlorine and water and then the injection pump has a dosage control but... as you mention below (see quote), the solution starts to weaken as soon as you mix it as the chlorine does as soon as you open the container and store it. Now tell me/us how you control a constantly weakening solution in the solution storage tank and the container the spare chlorine is stored in.

The truth is that a solution feeder causes the owner to constantly be chasing his tail trying to get them to work poorly.

Another reason your iron may not be precipitaing can be that the solution can weaken in strength depending on age and storage methods. Chlorine gases can escape and the solution becomes weak. Avoid using large containers ( with much air volume) and keep levels low rather high. That requiresd a little more attention but your results can improve.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Take it easy Gary, no need to be so aggressive.:eek:
Aggressive! A... I recall you've already been told that you may be too sensitive to post here and I guess you are if you see my comment as "aggressive!

I said: "Some pellet drop(per)s are metered. The unit mentioned above is not, I believe.

I clearly said I was not talking about the one you use.
I've spent some time glancing through the posts above your post where you said that and I can't find where you say you weren't talking about mine. How about a quote of what you now say you were talking about, and also where you say you weren't talking about mine. Otherwise I and possibly others will consider your defensiveness as offensive.

So if the pump is off for, say two months, it is adding chlorine for two months. Maybe it was your wording.;)
My words were, "my chlorinator does not add chlorine when the pump is running." What's to not understand?

Pellet dropper manufacturers recommend a test valve.
Again, it's not a pellet dropper or pellet feeder, it is a chlorinator and there is no need to test for chlorine with a test kit.

Last edited:

Cue777

Reaction score
This bickering like a bunch of Children is ridiculous, and is also why I didn't order anything from people here bickering. I had a local guy install equipment today and it is working perfectly.

Maybe you should learn how to be professional if you run a professional business and not talk negatively or arrogantly when posting on a public forum. That is if you want to convey a professional image of your business. :rolleyes:

Cookie

Reaction score
These are really a great bunch of guys and they really know the ins and outs of their business. Just like in any field, it can get heated because of the diverse opinions and beliefs. It happens. At least via these means, it is just words.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'd also like to know (from anybody) what test is/was used to determine the presence and quantity of "iron bacteria" in a well.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
This bickering like a bunch of Children is ridiculous, and is also why I didn't order anything from people here bickering. I had a local guy install equipment today and it is working perfectly.

Maybe you should learn how to be professional if you run a professional business and not talk negatively or arrogantly when posting on a public forum. That is if you want to convey a professional image of your business. :rolleyes:
Steve is it? Sorry you see it that way. I see it a bit differently, I have since part way through our phone conversation. Thats based on many phone calls and emails etc. from thousands of people over the last 12 years on the internet.

I wish you well with your new equipment. A couple pictures of it would be a nice gesture for all the help you received here.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I'd also like to know (from anybody) what test is/was used to determine the presence and quantity of "iron bacteria" in a well.
I hear some labs do tests for it or some of the many types of bacteria that make up IRB but, slime in toilet tanks, or an oily film on the water in the tanks is the best way IMO. An oily film is usually manganese reducing bacteria.

There is also a set of tests called the BARTS tests. They are expensive and identify a number of different groups of bacteria. Some of the test results can take up to month to read but they can be done on site. Possibly some labs are using that type of test.

ecpgroup

Reaction score
yes i would like to know what you have gone for as well? i am glad its working well hope it does in 2 years time or 2 months time thats the sign of a good system. you have to see that people where only trying to help you and did not want to offer you something that did not work or cure you problem water. regards max

Mikey

Reaction score
There is also a set of tests called the BARTS tests. They are expensive and identify a number of different groups of bacteria. Some of the test results can take up to month to read but they can be done on site. Possibly some labs are using that type of test.
Thanks for the lead. I use HACH test kits, and sure enough they have a "BART Test Combination Package, Iron-Related Bacteria, Sulfate-Reducing Bacteria, Slime-Forming Bacteria (3 of each)", for $92.05.

I guess the question is, how would it change my life to know exactly what I've got? Is it worth $92.05 (plus tax, shipping, tag, title, fuel surcharge, handling, etc.)? Whatever I've got in the well, the treatment system puts out excellent water now, and will no doubt do even better with my new QWA chlorinator, right?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cue777

Maybe you should learn how to be professional if you run a professional business and not talk negatively or arrogantly when posting on a public forum. That is if you want to convey a professional image of your business.

You ungrateful upstart. You should be flogged in the Public Square.

How about a Picture of the new equipment so we can all comment on it.

bob...

Mikey

Reaction score
Mikey, don't spend the money. Chlorine kills all the bacteria those tests can identify, so it doesn't matter what type you have in your water.
That's what I thought, but remember I'm an engineer... I just like to know this stuff. If I could buy one set of tests for $31, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but $92 is a little pricey for us senior citizens on fixed incomes (sad violin music in background).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks