3 Way Switch power fails at Light

Users who are viewing this thread

BigSkeet

Reaction score
Gentlemen...I've installed a new light. Poorly. The chain looks like this:

Power source (14/2) -> 3 way dimmer -> 14/3 romex to standard 3 way switch -> 14/2 romex out to light fixture.

The electricity runs through the chain fine until I screw in the light, which disrupts the power. I've checked the connection at the power source, the dimmer, and the 3 way switch. Somewhere, I've completely botched something on either the dimmer or the switch or both. Followed the directions to a T, but can't get it to jive. Power even comes through the light receptacle, until I screw in the bulb.

Here's the "schematics" I used. http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/information/how-to/three-way-switch-option1.htm.

I'm completely stumped. What did I do wrong? Holler if a diagram will help out. I can get nasty with photos of my "craftmanship".

Thanks,
BigSkeet

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but some electronic dimmers will show voltage with a high-impedance DMM, but no current. WHen you throw in the lamp, the voltage drops. This is normal until you trigger the dimmer circuit to pass current. Also, many electronic dimmers won't work unless the actual load is greater than (in the order of 25W). Make sure the bulb is big enough (a CFL won't work with many dimmers, even if it is rated as being dimmable).

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wiring diagram you are using is for two regular 3-way switches.

Might want to replace the dimmer with a regular 3-way switch as a test just to check your wiring.

Then to get the dimmer to work, *very* important to follow the directions and wiring diagram which came with the 3-way dimmer. Does it say you can use the dimmer with a regular 3-way switch? Or do you need a "special" switch at the other end?

I assume you have turned the dial on the dimmer back and forth and are using a regular light bulb? I seem to recall reading something about compact fluorescents and dimmers having problems???? Anyway might want to try a regular light bulb for testing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
3 way

IF you have described the wiring entirely, then where is the neutral to the light? If the power comes to the switch and then to the light you need 4 wires, not three. And do not use the bare ground for the neutral the way I have seen some handymen do it.

Last edited:

BigSkeet

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far...maybe a little more explanation will help.

I re-checked this AM before heading to work, and I'm 90% certain I've got the dimmer and 3way switch wired correctly. When I check the volts with a 120v tester, it works fine when i toggle either the dimmer or switch. Both switches behave appropriately.

When I screw the bulb in, the power at the 3 way switch starts acting funky. The wires that were previously hot no longer are. It's as if when I make that connection with the bulb to the wires, the power gets reversed/inverted/i don't what.

The lights are recessed lights. 4 in total. We've got them installed on other dimmers in the house that work fine. The bulbs look like this.

Plusrite_GU10_50W_600x.jpg

Could something in my daisy chain of additional lights be causing the issue?

BigSkeet

Reaction score
IF you have described the wiring entirely, then where is the neutral to the light? If the power comes to the switch and then to the light you need 4 wires, not three. And do not use the bare ground for the neutral the way I have seen some handymen do it.

for my neutrals -

Power source 14-2 neutral passes to 14-3 neutral at first location (dimmer). At 3 way switch location, the 14/3 neutral then passes to the 14/2 neutral, which runs up to the lights. Make sense?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
power

It sounds like you have a back circuit and as long as the hot and neutral are separated you indicate proper voltage, but once you insert the bulbs, which complete a circuit that makes the hot wires neutrals because the actual "hot" source is elsewhere. The dimmer circuity could do it if the switch does not activate the hot wire to the lighting. In which case you would have 120v across the switch terminals when the light should be on.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Are you certain you've wired the switches properly? Different 3-way switches might not have their traveller and common terminals in identical locations, and I imagine the dimmer could be different as well. The common terminal is the most important of the 3, and must be wired as shown in your diagram. The other two terminals can be wired in either of the 2 possible ways and things will work.

BigSkeet

Reaction score
thanks guys. I've got a few more ideas now to test and test some more, so if i can't figure it out i'll bring in the pros!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just a general comment....some of your measurements are possibly across an open, and putting a bulb in changes the circuit.

BigSkeet

Reaction score
Thanks again, especially for the comment from Billy Bob. I changed out the dimmer with a standard 3 way and the lights functioned perfectly. Problem isolated - bad dimmer - most likely from me frying it from having it poorly wired initially. Replaced with a new dimmer and it worked again.

Problem solved!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks