825 Foot Deep Well

Users who are viewing this thread

Leaky Boot

Reaction score
I have an 825 foot deep well. The well driller feels that the recovery rate of the well at 825 feet is 5 to 6 gpm. The well has a deep static level around 400 feet. At present my 3/4 hp pump is set at the max depth of 425 +/- I believe. I frequently run out of water with just a shower or two and basic water use. My driller said that my best option to solve my water problem was to install a cistern at the cost of around $2,200.00. To install a pump at the bottom of my well he said would cost 8 to 9 thousand dollars because of not only the size of the pump, but he would have to use steel piping to the bottom of the well because of the weight of the piping, water, and pump. I have a friend that lives down south in Virginia, and he said that down there for a deep well like this that they would still use plastic water pipe, but would hang the whole thing off a stainless steel cable so to support the weight. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this being done in the past. Also any ideas as to what really is the best way for me to get at the water in the bottom of my well.

Information on my well

825 Feet deep

5 - 6 gpm recovery at 825 feet.

Static level... Not totally certain but present pump set at 425 feet and quickly run out of water.

Feeding a 2 story house with 2 bathrooms. Family of 4

Well about 75 feet from house.[/QUOTE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You might talk to a Dempster Pump Dealer. It's common knowledge the close tolerance Dempster will pump deeper than mostother pumps for it's HP size. You might go with a 1 hp set at close to 600 ft and solve your problem. Most 1 hp won't do that--but talk to your expert Dempster man. If worry about the depth on the pipe, just use a rope. You might get out of this problem for less than $2000. A 1 hp, 10 gpm Dempster wholesales for $489 so should not cost you the farm.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used Dempster pumps and they are a good pump. However, their rating designations don't compare to those of other pumps.

Dempster rates the flow nearer the maximum end of the curve while Goulds rates the flow nearer the maximum efficiency point.

Dempster 10 GPM 1 HP - 5 GPM at 450 ft head; 10 GPM at 300 ft of head.
http://www.dempsterinc.com/PDF%20FIles/performance%20curves.pdf

Goulds 7GS10 7 GPM 1 HP - 5 GPM at 450 ft head; 10 GPM at 300 ft of head.
http://www.goulds.com/pdf/7310.pdf

Both good pumps; virtually identical curves; different GPM ratings.

I wouldn't put either of them in the well we are talking about. They don't deliver enough head. At 500 ft the Dempster is at shutoff head; zero flow; and that is with no pressure for the tank.

The drawdown elevation is uncertain. The owner needs a pump that will deliver water, whatever happens to the drawdown.

I would go with the Goulds 5GS15 pump at 1.5 HP. That gives the following flow and drawdown capability with 50 psi available (see Goulds link above) at the top of the well:

Drawdown = 400; 5.9 GPM
Drawdown = 500; 4.8 GPM
Drawdown = 600; 3.5 GPM
Drawdown = 700; 1.8 GPM

The Dempster X Model 5 GPM rated pump with 1.5 HP motor has virtually the same performance as the Goulds 5GS15 and would work as well.

If you want more pressure or more drawdown or more flow, use a Goulds 5GS20 2 HP pump. I didn't see a 2HP model for the Dempster.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Another ignorant question

Everyone has been talking about 1" pipe down the well, but all the Goulds pumps come with 1 1/4" discharge connections. Wazzup?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
They make a line of pumps with a wide range of capacity that all have the same connection. Goulds recommends 1" as adequate for up to 10 GPM.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but when you say you only use threaded joints, how do the threads get there? Does Sch 80 pipe come threaded? What does a "sch 80 threaded PVC with brass or galv couplings" joint look like?

We have and use SCH 80 PVC with a male thread on one end and a female on the other. They work great and we have had no unthreading problems. As for the depth we are talking here, I can't attest to that as we don't hang pumps much deeper than 150'.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks