using an overflow drain with a non-overflow sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

chelsea

Reaction score
I purchased 3 kohler bolero sinks that do not have overflow. I purchased 3 sets of faucets that all came with drains with overflow holes. In the installation instructions for my sinks, it says "Lavatory shall have a chrome plated brass tube and drain gasket to cover the overflow hole in the faucet drain assembly". I took this to mean there should be some parts with the sink to use to cover the overflow holes on the drains if need be - but there are no parts like that included with the sinks. (I did purchase the sinks on **** as open box items, so I was thinking maybe they were just lost).

Is there some sort of item that I can purchase to cover the overflow holes in the drains, or do I just need to purchase new drains without overflow holes?

Thanks! :)

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
All the overflow holes do is to allow water from on overflow (if present) into the drain pipe when the sink-drain plug is down. I believe you should be able to install just what you have without any problems from those holes below the plug.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
"Lavatory shall have a chrome plated brass tube and drain gasket to cover the overflow hole in the faucet drain assembly"

This means there should be a short piece of tubing (chromed) that will act as a spacer under the bowl. It covers the holes in the tailpiece and allows the nut to tighten properly and seal the drain...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks