(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for advice on pumps to use etc.

Anywhere in the line where it, or the water coming out of it, can be seen. This is now your High Pressure Alarm. If you put it in a place where it can't be seen, then you won't know you have a problem until it is too late.

The pump model may not be designated exactly 20 GPM. In the Goulds line the 18GS10 is designated 18 GPM 1 HP but when you look at the table or the pump curve http://www.goulds.com/pdf/7310.pdf you see that it delivers 22 GPM at 50 psi with 40 ft of lift.

You want a pump that is reasonably matched to your demand. It will be less efficient if you operate it at much less than the designated rating. The curves indicate the recommended range of operation.

The submersible or centrifugal pumps are the most efficient of the pumps that you might choose. A shallow well jet pump is substantially less efficient.

If you look at the curves the pressure (head) scale is in feet. One psi = 2.31 ft so you would want at least 50 psi x 2.31 + 35 ft = 115 + 35 = 150 ft; and add a bit for pressure loss in the pipe and distribution system.

Thanks Bob, Is there any units that are smaller in length or something that will fit into a small barrel with the same specs?

Thanks,

I don't understand the question about the barrel. Are you going to be pumping out of a barrel?

Reasonably priced submersible pump are 3.75" diameter to fit in a 4" pipe. Length depends on the HP of the motor and the number of stages of the pump.

What are you pumping from; river or barrel in the river or the 275 gallon tank?

You could set a barrel in the earth next to the river with an inlet near the bottom of the barrel (or a flow sleeve on the pump so it gets good cooling) and almost any reasonable submersible would work in a 55 gallon drum. It is important that the water flow over the motor from the bottom to the inlet of the pump which is in the middle.

Im pumping from a river and thinking about not using a barrel or anything like that. I was just going to put the pump in a barrel to protect it from stuff in the river if it gets up etc. I like to have it were i can pull it out if we have alot of rain so it dont get washed away. What ever i put it in will act as a extra protector also of debre leaves etc.
    I need a few selections of pumps to chose from im still having a hard time finding one cause i dont want to over kill but also under do it.

Thanks,