Kitchen Sink Vent Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Tlademann

Reaction score
Hi. I am undertaking a kitchen remodel and found a small surprise when I pulled out my old cabinets. I intent to put the sink basically in the same location as the old one but need to move the drain about 2 feet over as the original location was actually in the cabinet next to the sink! Also the tie in to the vent stack seems to be an after thought of a previous reno as it is only notched into the wall. I want to fix the notches to bring this wall back to code. My question is how best to vent this sink?

Attachments

• 2008-07-08 23-59-59 2.JPG
    2008-07-08 23-59-59 2.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 977
  • 2008-07-09 00-00-15 3.JPG
    2008-07-09 00-00-15 3.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,042

GregO

Reaction score
redo

Moving it 2 feet the right, I hope? I would rip off all the drywall to inspect and allow for reinsulating, then I'd cut out all the piping and repipe it after framing in another interior wall. Best to do it properly now and once while you have the chance. While it looks like it should vent fine, that looks like a mess of poor piping and notched studs, making me cringe. Greg

On second glance, what the heck is that lower right black pipe?

Hi. I am undertaking a kitchen remodel and found a small surprise when I pulled out my old cabinets. I intent to put the sink basically in the same location as the old one but need to move the drain about 2 feet over as the original location was actually in the cabinet next to the sink! Also the tie in to the vent stack seems to be an after thought of a previous reno as it is only notched into the wall. I want to fix the notches to bring this wall back to code. My question is how best to vent this sink?

Last edited:

Tlademann

Reaction score
feedback on redo

I was actually hoping to move the drain a couple feet left - to keep it all in the Sink cabinet (which is a 36in cabinet where the water feeds are) rather than have to run across into the cabinet next to the sink.

When you say reframe - are you talking about reframing the entire wall?

The pipe in the lower right is a tie in to the stack from a drain in the basement. The outside wall that you see here is sitting on top of the concrete basement wall and therefore connections from directly below here can not come straight up into the stud cavity

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

It comes up from downstairs but where does it connect TO? It cannot just stick up out of the floor. As for the other questions, how you modify the drain and vent may be determined by how the cabinets are designed. Whether they provide room behind them for the lateral line to connect or if you have to notch them into the wall.

Tlademann

Reaction score
Downstairs Pipe

The pipe coming up from downstairs goes into the wall and up the stud cavity at the far right - it proceeds about 1 foot above the open drywall in the picture and forks in with the stack line from the sink into one pipe that leads to the roof.

The cabinets are already purchased (Ikea). My current idea is one of the following:
1. Fir out a couple of feet and run the extended pipe stack in a similar manner as the one that is notched (after fixing the notches with some metal plates)
OR
2. Remove the stack line for the sink (leaving the one for the basement intact) and use an AAV for the kitchen sink cleaning up the entire mess.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An inspector would likely only allow an AAV if there was no other way to do it correctly (which you have).

Tlademann

Reaction score
Thanks Jim ... so choose the firing out method?

An inspector would likely only allow an AAV if there was no other way to do it correctly (which you have).

You would then be ok with firring out the wall and putting the line in there?

GregO

Reaction score
reframe

You could reframe the entire wall by framing another inside of the existing one or you could frame a "knee wall" where the base sticks out farther than the top, allowing you to more easily conceal the plumbing (for strength and insulation, though, I'd add another interior wall as mentioned - I'm not a fan of notching or drilling framing or joists even when meeting code). A knee wall could be built at cabinet height or higher depending on countertop design/preference, though. Greg

I was actually hoping to move the drain a couple feet left - to keep it all in the Sink cabinet (which is a 36in cabinet where the water feeds are) rather than have to run across into the cabinet next to the sink.

When you say reframe - are you talking about reframing the entire wall?

The pipe in the lower right is a tie in to the stack from a drain in the basement. The outside wall that you see here is sitting on top of the concrete basement wall and therefore connections from directly below here can not come straight up into the stud cavity

Last edited:

Tlademann

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I ripped down the drywall below the window on this entire wall and think that the knee wall approach will work the best for me. One last question - the current stack seems to be a smaller pipe than the line that was used to run to it. Is there a reason that the feed from the drain line is larger or can I reduce it right away while it travels horizontally to the stack?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Never reduce a drain line or you'll introduce places for clogs to form. The vent line, moving just air, often can be smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks