How to eliminate unwanted heads

Users who are viewing this thread

lsc87

Reaction score
I have two sprinkler heads in two separate areas I want to get rid of. I haven't dug them up yet to see if they're in the middle of a pipe or at the end of one, but what should I keep in mind when pulling them out?

If the head is cut into a line, do I just pull it out and patch it up with a connector?

And if it's at the END of the line, what do I do about a stub end line when winter comes and it needs to be blown out? It may not be possible to remove the stub end line all the way out to the connection with the active sprinkler pipe.

thanks
Doug

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
If it is the last head on a line at the bottom of a slope, you might want to replace the standard elbow with a lateral drain elbow. It is just a precaution so dead water doesn't get trapped in the zone during winterization.

The lateral drain will open a weep hole when the pressure in the zone drops under 5-10 lbs. Make sure to surround the elbow with some sort of rock or gravel to give the water somplace to go.

If it is a saddle fitting, just dig up the head, and place a threaded cap on top the riser. Replace dirt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks