(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Advice: Winterizing frost-free faucets

Default Advice: Winterizing frost-free faucets

I am going to replace my old sillcocks with frost-free ones. Do I still need to winterize them each year (turning off shut-off valve & leaving them open)?

Also this website says that frost-proof sillcocks won't work in houses built on concrete slabs. Why is that?

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18060/

Is your pipes going to be inside the slab?

I would still install one. I don't take advise from any handyman. They know enough to get them selves into trouble. I know some are real good and do try to follow codes, but not many.

If you install your sillcock right it will not freeze in the winter.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

No pipe is 2" above slab

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The whole idea with a frost free silcock is that the actual guts that shuts the water off is at the long end of the handle, way at the base. They comde in various lengths to accommodate different wall thicknesses. So, when you shut the water off, it is already way inside the wall so normally, an internal shutoff is not required. You MUST remove any hoses, so that the water left in the outer part of the valve can drain. The thing should be installed with a little slope to drain, but enough will to keep it from splitting unless it is sloped severely backwards towards the house.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

No winterizing as such needed, but do not leave a hose connected in the fall. If you do, the water will not drain out of the pipe and it will freeze and split the pipe. You won't even know it until you attempt to use the valve in the spring because a previously noted, the actual shut off occurs inside.