hot switch plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Catherine

Reaction score
Hi

I just turned off my kitchen light switch (recessed lights, dimmer) and it feel hot to the touch. I have never noticed this before. I have had that switch and lights for about 2 1/2 years. Is this dangerous? It is not as hot, but still warm, now that I have turned it off.

Thanks for any help, I am quite nervous about this
Catherine

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Dimmers can be warm.. You could check and make sure that all the connections are tight, and that the dimmer is rated for at least the amount of watts load you have on it.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
all dimmers will feel warm to the touch, especially the plate screws if using plastic plates, Pretty normal and will not burn your house down... :D

Catherine

Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you so much for your answers! I am relieved that my wall is not about to burn down!

Catherine

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hot

We did not say that, because you could actually have a problem. We just told you why you might not have one. For example, someone with aluminum wiring AND a dimmer could have a loose connection which would also heat up the box while the light was on. In that case our statements would still apply, but they would not apply to, or correct, the real problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks