Cost to replace lead pipes to copper

Users who are viewing this thread

SC79

Reaction score
I am considering buying a foreclosed property in NJ. It was vandalized by the previous owners and they took out the water meter. The water company cut & capped the service. The house is connected with lead pipes to the main line, which runs across the street (apprx 25-30 ft from the basement). In order for me to restore the water service, I was told that I need to bring it up to code by replacing the lead line with copper line.

Does anyone have any idea how much it may cost me? Thanks!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Usually it is the city's responsibility to bring the water to your property and install the meter. Certainly they would insist on doing any street opening and closing. You might have to pay for the meter, but that is arguable in my opinion since you didn't own the property at the time of the theft. After the meter, it is your problem, but I would go with copper although you can use PVC underground from the meter to the house, but not inside. As far as cost, it is hard to determine from afar because of the many variables involved. Certainly copper is very expensive now days, but 39 feet of copper should not bankrupt you. However, labor can be even more than materials. The line from the street to the house in your areas needs to be fairly deep, so unless you have a source of cheap grunt labor, you might look into having it tunneled or contracted to a backhoe operator. Verify what I have said regarding the city's responsibility with the city water department.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It very much depends on the area. If the road has to be torn up, it can get quite expensive. You may have to pay for that, it just depends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks