(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vanity pop-up drain seal leak

Default Vanity pop-up drain seal leak

Recently had two new Delta vanity faucets installed with pop-up drain plugs. In one sink the pop-up plug is not sealing properly - upon filling the sink one can hear water slowly leaking into the drain. Tried just pressing the plug down but didn't help. Thought it might be an installation issue, but the plumber removed and re-installed the pop-up and the failure to seal completely continues. There is no obvious problem with the rubber(?) on the pop-up (no nicks, bumps) , nor does it appear that there are imperfections in the metal drain part in the sink. Is there some quick fix to try to get this thing to seal? Should I be calling Delta and asking for advice or a replacment plug part? Thought I'd ask here first. Of course it is the sink on which we want to USE the plug that there is a problem!

Change the pop-up with the other sink pop-up. If they are the same. I would try that as a test.
    If the pop-up assembly is not installed right it will cause the pop-up to not move into place properly.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Thank you for the suggestion. Am going to try a couple of things before removing the pop-ups from both sinks as am a little concerned that I may end up with 2 leaky seals! Have found out that the store where I bought the fixtures will replace the pop-up part if I give them the old one. Will see how it goes.

It sounds like someone forgot to seal under the drain flange with plumbers putty!

Last night I took a look at the Delta website and in their FAQs was a question about pop-up leaks. The flange issue was mentioned as a possible cause of the leak. I carefully poured water around the flange and water drained on one side - right under it! The plumber is on his way to do the repair.

Thanks for your input, Redwood! This forum (and the toilet one) have been most helpful.

Glad we could help you out. Thanks for posting back with your results.

In fairness to your plumber, sometimes the bowl indentation has a holiday (gap) or the drain flange might not be ground properly. Too bad he didn't test it before he left.

Yea, I like to do that... Gotta keep those free return trips to an absolute minimum.

Default drain

It would have to be an immense imperfection to not seal with the plumber's putty he should have used.

The technician who repaired the leak was not the one who'd done the original install - the company has many employees and tries to send someone right away so it's not necessarily the same person each time. This guy was here a long time and made absolutely sure that there was no leakage after his repair. I agree wholeheartedly that the person doing the original install should have checked for leaks - but it was the end of the day, right before a long weekend and he was wanting to get home. He'd installed 2 sinks and taps and 2 toilets for me. The funny thing is that I did have someone come back the next day to check the leak and he wasn't the one who diagnosed the flange leak - he was going to replace the stopper (for a fee, since I supplied the fixture and not his company). It was only through this forum and my search of the Delta site that the potential flange seal issue arose.

If I have plumbing issues in the future I'll be checking/inquiring here first!

Let me guess a large company and the last part of its name was rooter...

I have to do this... just use 100% silicone you won't have leaks. Defective parts are on the rise even in the better name brands.

Glue it in eh?

Now you've done it!

Real Plumbers use 100% Plumbers Putty!

Actually the root problem is that the faucets were bought at Big Box Store and they have that cheesy plastic drain assy that big box makes them use. They come with a thin rubber gasket that allegedly seals under the flange and some poor sap working for a rooter company believed the directions...

Last edited by Redwood; 07-11-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Glue it in eh?

Now you've done it!

Real Plumbers use 100% Plumbers Putty!
    Now I'm hurt. Anyone else?

Ya gotta have a thicker skin!