(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Access hole?

Default Access hole?

Hi, Do you need an access hole in a shower and also what about a tub? What exactly do you need access to in a shower and also a tub? Can I get by without one? Thank you

More info would be helpful
    Is the tub a hot tub.
    Do you have shut off valves that are in the wall or under the tub.

It is very helpful having access to the pipes in the future.
    I'm just starting to work with an old friend of mine to bring solar electric and hot water systems, wind turbines, Flex Fuel Boilers, batteries, hydroponic gardening, books, pellet grills and more. Also the parts for DIY installation.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Very useful, rarely required unless you have a whirlpool or air tub.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

OK

Tub is going to be a drop in tub (might make it a jacuzzi tub). It is going to be constructing with a deck that is tiled and the tub drops in the deck. Shower will be simply a shower that has tile on walls and floor. I am not to sure where the shut off valves will be but I suppose I will need shut off valves for each one of these fixtures and if I need to install shut off valves for each fixture then I need an access to them. Thanks

For another question would you guys object to having a window in a shower/tub enclosure. If you need to know I live in a very very cold climate during the winter and warm during the summer. Thanks

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Fine with me. With a big window, you could call it a "garden shower" and add big bucks to the resale value. In any case, I'll bet there's special glass and glazing appropriate for the shower environment (i.e., tempered glass) and your location (i.e., super-insulated).

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Building a shower that doesn't leak with a window in it can be done. You might consider a glass block window replacement, though. Some places require an opening window, though (it's usually either a fan or an openable window). Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling things.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014