Please comment on this setup

Users who are viewing this thread

max432

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am in the proccess of having my kitchen remodeled and would like your comments on the configuration of the sink plumbing. Prior to the remodel we had some problems with slow draing and smells. Also the dishwasher did not clean well. The plumber explained these problems were due to a poorly designed drain system and that he would correct the situation. He added a loop vent and the drains you see in the picture. He stated the loop vent was my only viable option because I live in a townhouse and this is a shared wall with double drywall. Additonally he upgraded from 1.5" pipe to 2" and added a clean out. I must admit that my diswasher now cleans much better, there is no smell, and the water drains fast. My main concern is that after reading these forums it was my understanding that a double trap setup should not be used. Please comment. Thank you.

Attachments

• Drains2.jpg
    Drains2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 367

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
that is not a double trap. If you had a double trap you would have two traps in a line. That is two trap for two different fixtures. It will work great for you.

max432

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Glad to learn that I was confused as to what a "double trap" is. So does this setup comply with plumbing codes? Thanks again for all the help and putting my mind at ease.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

Whether it complies with the code or not depends on the inspector and how he interprets it. The codes specify one trap for one vent connection, but that configuration is a common one, so the inspectors do not usually have a problem with it.

riverbend

Reaction score
Huh??

Whether it complies with the code or not depends on the inspector and how he interprets it. The codes specify one trap for one vent connection, but that configuration is a common one, so the inspectors do not usually have a problem with it.

What code(s) specify one trap for one vent??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks