Buying a house - dark water after 1 hour or so

Users who are viewing this thread

murimart

Reaction score
First of all, thank you for this forum. I finally found somewhere I was able to read material relevant to my problem.

I'm about to buy my first house. Today i visited the property and tested the water visually. The house has not been lived for a year or so but the owners stop by now and then and use the facilities (electricity, water, etc.)

As soon as I opened the kitchen fosset, dark water came out; after one minute of running, the water cleared out completely and I let it run for one hour. After the hour, extremely dark water started to come out; running for an extra hour did not help. The water left a fine black material in the sink, something like fine black sand.

The owners do not know who drilled the well nor have any certificates, etc. according a neighbor, the water pump was pulled up due to some problems they had.

The drilled well is 150ft. The bullet shaped small water container in the basement is old and leaks a little.

I really like the property but this water thing worries me. The well drilling companies are expensive in this area, just to make a simple bacteria test costs 6 times more than in the hospital.

Would you be so kind into telling me what the problem might be and what my possible solutions/options are? (anywhere from using filters to drilling another well)

Thank you so much.

Marty

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Why would you run the water for an hour? What did you think you were testing by doing that? It certainly is not a way to test a well IMO. You should have known much more about the well before doing any test like that. And then to run it another hour after the water started to discolor.

The first dark water was due to galvanized pipe being flushed of accumulated rust or oxidized iron in the pipes. Now fine grit says you may have harmed the well by drawing it down too far. Let it alone for a time and then get water samples and get the water tested for pH, hardness, coliform bacteria, nitrates, nitrites, sulfates, chlorides, iron and manganese. And hire a well driller or pump guy to do a well test if you want to know more about the well; like pumping level, recovery rate, static water level etc..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks