Drake or Ultramax?

Users who are viewing this thread

TMinNC

Reaction score
In a fit of frustration I ordered a Drake to replace a standard builder supplied toilet in our downstairs powder room. My plan was to replace it and depending how that went to replace the others in the house.

All the talk about leaking Drake's have me wondering if I should have gone w/the Ultramax. I've read the install notes here and will be sure follow them to a T.

But, from a performance standpoint is there any difference in these two models?

Thanks,
Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a two-piece toilet, there are a few simple things that should be done during installation:
- the area around where the bolts go to hold the tank should be smoothed over; takes all of 10-seconds per hole. This allows the rubber washer to make a good seal*
- the nut that holds the flapper seat should be checked to verify it is tight, again, takes all of a few seconds.*
- make sure that the nut that holds the filler valve in place is tight

If you do that, and any conscientious installer should, you don't have problems.

* Two-piece only

TMinNC

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for the tips. I did see these as part of the install process named here online and will make sure to follow them. I think the tip about sanding the area where the rubber washers sit is a key one.

Any performance difference between the two models I mentioned? I don't mind the 2 piece look just looking for a price/performance match.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The sanding is a precautionary step that while perhaps not necessary, is a very good and easy thing to do. I just gives added insurance that the tank bolts won't leak. Take your time tightening them. Rock the tank while pressing down and alternate sides often while tightening. The tank may not want to go tight against the bowl, and that's OK. Don't over tighten the nuts, just nice and snug.

SamC

Reaction score
Actually, according to the latest MaP report, the Drake performs better than the Ultramax at flushing bulk media, flushing 900 grams as opposed to 700 grams, because the level of the water in the tank is higher, providing a higher head pressure. But since the average human stoole is less than 350 grams, anything over that is fine. You might consider the EcoDrake or EcoUltramax, which use only 1.28 gallons of water, and still flush 600 grams and 500 grams respectively.

TMinNC

Reaction score
Sam,
Thanks for the info. I have a drake enroute and hope to install it thiseekend. If flushing goes well I will put a toilet bag in the tank to reduce the water usage. Its a small plastic bag that you fill with salt water to displace a given amount of volume. It can turn a 1.6 into a 1.28 tank.

TMinNC

Reaction score
I kind of like the idea of having an "extra gear" w/the 1.6. If all goes well I might go w/the 1.28 for the other 3.

Terry - any thoughts on expanding your shipping to the East Coast?

TMinNC

Reaction score
Got the Drake Installed

Looks good so far. Kids will be home all day tomorrow - so it will be a good test.

TMinNC

Reaction score
Everthing is working well. Its been about 1 week and no issues at all.

RCraig

Reaction score
sweat catcher

I am planning to put on the sweat-catcher drip tray even though it is an insulated tank-Drake, just in case. R

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Putting anything in the tank of the Toto may compromise the flush. Essentially none of the newer toilets empty the tank when you flush. Adding that bag in there could work if it was an older style toilet that did empty the tank, but may just cause the toilet to reduce the water used in the flush so it won't perform properly.

As I understand it, the way the Eco versions of Toto's toilets save is more on limiting the bowl overflow rather than using less to dump into the bowl while the flapper is opened.

If you do try it, let us know. My guess is it might impact the flushing operation.

RCraig

Reaction score
outside back

This will hang outside the tank, underneath it. It has sponges in it, catches the toilet sweat on the outside. Not very efficient but I have been decimated by toilet sweat so I am overworried about the sweating. Ruth

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Don't make it a permanent mount. I seriously doubt that you will have any sweating for all of the reasons previously discussed and this attachment thing will be totally unnecessary. Enjoy your new Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks