Vinyl Fence Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am a single female homeowner who is in the market to purchase a fence. My property has a small grass lawn between my home and my neighbors house. The property line falls in the middle of the lawn and there is a flat area which gently slopes to the edge of a rock wall.

I have been getting quotes from several fence companies in my area. Most of these companies with the exception of one installs vinyl panel fences with a lattice top into the ground using cement as well as other materials to hold the posts in.

I like the company that does NOT cement the posts only because I particularly like one of the styles of vinyl fence that they offer and have seen their work in my area which is quality.

My question is.......should I be leary about going with a company that does not cement the posts into the ground. I am concerned about the fence toppling over or moving as the ground freezes and thaws.

Any thoughts appreciated.:) Go Red Sox!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can not understand your reluctance to cement the posts. The cement does not have to come completely to the surface of the ground. If you are concerned about the stability of the fences as you say you are, then concrete is the only way to go. I'm sure there would be companies that would just bury the posts in soil if that's what you wished, but if it was my operation, I wouldn't take the job because when it leaned and sagged, it would not reflect well on my company. If anyone did take the job, I would expect them to require you to sign an agreement that you would have no free adjustments when the fence started to lean or sag.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much force will be against your fence in a windstorm? A rail fence would not be too bad, but a solid wall will be like a sail on a ship.

eastinway

Reaction score
Hi Gary and thanks for your reply. I really want to have the vinyl panel fence installed with cement inside the posts as most of the fence companies in my New England area do. The company that does not install with cement is the only one around that supplies the vinyl panel fence with a small diagonal lattice top. Most of the diagonal lattice tops have large openings which I don't like. I am a very detail oriented person and if I am going to spend thousands of dollars on a fence, I should get the one I like......don't you think...

But, you are right, in New England winters, we can have some strong gusts and windy weather. Since this fence will be situated on a grassy slope, I would feel better knowing that the posts are cemented into the ground.

Do you think cementing the posts is the way to go for this kind of fence I am interested in purchasing?

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Are they using pea gravel to place the posts or just right into the dirt? If you cement a post 6 inches into the ground it isn't nearly as effective as burying a post 40 inches into the ground with no cement. Consider that.

If the posts are exposed wood at the ground then I'd avoid cement and use pea gravel. If they're vinyl then I don't think it matters.

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the vinal fence posts are a sleeve that is fitted over a 4x4 wooden post. So, if that part that is burried is wood, sticking it into concrete may not be the greatest idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks